coconut oil soap guide plz

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

umeali

Reaction score
Helloo to all soap makers here ,
I am planning to make a complete coconut oil soap with only coconut oil for coming autumn,so I checked it on soap calc which showed me
coconut oil 500g
naoh 110.5
water 190

Hardness 29 - 54 ----------- 100
Cleansing 12 - 22 ------------- 100
Conditioning 44 - 69 -------------- 0
Bubbly 14 - 46 ---------------------100
Creamy 16 - 48 ---------------------- 0
Iodine 41 - 70 -----------------------------1I
NS 136 - 165 ----------------------------- 324

what do you think? will this recipe work ?what about creamy and conditioning property ?
should I ad any color(I want white ) ?or fragrance?can we seal the coconut oil ,s own smell?
Please experienced and seniors guide me .Thanks and hugs in advance .

Last edited:
Ah....there are so many more brilliant minds here that will tell you about all the issues with this...
I have two words for you...Salt Bar.
Look up the threads and it will tell you all about it.

The soap will not retain any of the smell of the oil. If you use 100% CO, be sure to use a high superfat. I think the standard is 20% for bath soap. If you are planning on using it for laundry, though, use 0% SF. You can color and scent it anything you like if using it for bath soap. I would not use any colorant for laundry soap.

Thanks for the quick reply ,I never tried salt bars but want to make them too but I thought for the changing weather coconut soap will be a good idea?:sad:

Why do you think it will be good for the changing weather? I love 100% coconut oil soap but even with a 20% superfat, it can be a bit drying.
It will be a very hard white bar but won't last long in the shower. 100% coconut soap is very soluble so it will melt away fairly quickly.

Why do you think it will be good for the changing weather? I love 100% coconut oil soap but even with a 20% superfat, it can be a bit drying.
It will be a very hard white bar but won't last long in the shower. 100% coconut soap is very soluble so it will melt away fairly quickly.

Hmmmmm solid points you mensioned ,yes I wanted yo make a creamy soap bar for dry weather so is there any method to make it a creamy and long lasting bar? Or should try something else?
A huge thanks for such a nice post ,I appreciate .

In the summer I rely on high coconut salt bars (and salt bars are gentler than 100% coconut oil bars with no salt I think), and in the winter I switch to bars that are high in lard - at least 65%.

Thanks Susie and gentleman ,I will try to find something else for winter creamy soap ,but finding lard is some how difficult to find as I never tried it yet .

If you can get palm oil it is nice mixed with shortening, better yet, if you can find palm shortening but it can be hard to find. I would mix 2:1 palm to regular shortening or even 1:1 for replacing a high lard if you cannot find lard. High on palm will produce a hard bar but it can be a bar that forms crack after it is use in the shower allowed to dry repeatedly.

I like CO bars in the summer. For the rest of the year (about 10 months here lol), I love a good bit of lard. It produces a fairly white bar with rich lather that feels fantastic on the skin, lasts a long time, and is easier to work with in the bowl.

If you're in the states, look for lard in grocery stores/walmart. It often comes in buckets or cubes. If the one near you doesn't have it, find the store frequented by Hispanic folks, southern folks, Grandmas that should have their own cooking show, or folks that like to make good apple pies (that venn diagram overlaps a lot). They should have it.

If lard simply isn't available, do you have access to beef tallow? It's similar to lard and easier to find in some places.

Could you tell us where you are located? What kind of fats/oils does your grocery store sell?
I live in a small country of south asia and coconut oil,sesame oil mustard oil are commonly used here .Fats could get from butcher not from a store .:think:

Umeali, I think you should find a nice butcher who will keep the fat from cutting for you and learn how to render your own lard/tallow. I have never done it (and it sounds like a little bit of a pain), but I think it is worth trying, especially if you can do it in big enough batches that it will last you for a while.

I've never soaped w/sesame or mustard seed oil, so can't venture any thoughts on those. I do think it is worth checking out the market there, as DD has suggested, to see if there are other good soft oils that you could add to a lard/tallow + coconut mix. If you could find one you would be good to go, I think. To her list (based on where you are) I would add sunflower as a possible.

Umeali, I think you should find a nice butcher who will keep the fat from cutting for you and learn how to render your own lard/tallow. I have never done it (and it sounds like a little bit of a pain), but I think it is worth trying, especially if you can do it in big enough batches that it will last you for a while.

I've never soaped w/sesame or mustard seed oil, so can't venture any thoughts on those. I do think it is worth checking out the market there, as DD has suggested, to see if there are other good soft oils that you could add to a lard/tallow + coconut mix. If you could find one you would be good to go, I think. To her list (based on where you are) I would add sunflower as a possible.
not-ally you always help me and I appreciate your sincere replies and again thanks now for such a detailed post ,yes sunflower is available almond oil is easily available too and obviously fat is possible to get from a butcher but must learn to render first .Personally I love to soaping with oils but new stuff is always welcome .

Every one is replying in such a detailed way to explain and help me but can someone tell me anything to make a leathery ,moisturizing soft soap for winter and dry season ?Will caster oil increase the creamy property of soap?

Back