Coconut oil % question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atrox

Reaction score
Newbie question about using coconut oil in soap making: I am trying to find out how much coconut oil is "too much" (76 degree; I don't use palm oil). I've read several books, web sites, this forum, and have found recommendations that the coconut/palm oils should not total more than 20-30%. I have also seen, however, a multitude of recipes that use 40-75% coconut/palm oils. I use soapcal.com for my recipes and aim to make more conditioning soaps that still clean and don't fall apart. I've been using: OO, canola, coconut, almond, jojoba oils and goat's milk. If using other highly conditioning oils, is it ok to use more coconut oil, or will it be too harsh regardless of the other oils in the mix? Or, do you raise the super fat %? Thanks!

It depends on what you like. I've found CO too drying over 25% but I have a nephew who prefers a much higher percentage. It's personal preference.

I do use higher CO percentages in some batches but I use a higher SF and I add buttermilk or cream to help offset the dryness. Conditioning oils should help balance out the drying effects of the coconut.

If you're still not sure, you could post your recipe and people can help you tweak it.

eta: You could also use a butter (cocoa, shea, etc) to help increase the hardness of the bar.

You don't have to use lots of exotic oils (like the jojoba which is very costly) to make a great bar of soap. You can make fabulous soap with only coconut and olive. Since the coconut makes the soap more drying, you can up the superfat or use a higher ratio of more moisturizing oils like olive. Many salt bars are made with only coconut oil but with a high superfat like 20 percent to counteract the drying effect of coconut alone. Personally, I don't pay a lot of attention to the "cleansing" number on soapcalc. All soaps are cleansing and should get you squeeky clean--even castille soap which is all olive oil. The "hardness" number does not make a huge difference either. Most soaps after a 3-4 week cure are rock hard anyway. Hope that helps. Soapmaking is sooo fun. Happy experimenting!! :D

The "hardness" number does not make a huge difference either. Most soaps after a 3-4 week cure are rock hard anyway.
A cured hard soap can become soft and jelly after few uses. I was assuming this is what the hardness number refers to.

I use the coconut oil with melting point of 92 degrees instead of 76 degree. I feel it makes a harder bar. Also I stay below 20% coconut oil because everyone complained of dryness if I go above that number using superfat at 5%.

Welcome to the forum!

You could try 35% CO, 65% OO, and 10% superfat and see how that works.

You can use up to 100% CO but at that rate, superfat at 20%.

the hardness number is supposed to indicate how hard the bar gets when properly cured. it's not any indication of what will happen if you leave your soap in a puddle of water.

regarding formulating with coconut oil - there really is no such thing as "too much". it's a matter of creating a balanced formula. I regularly soap with 75% coconut oil and make very "calm" soaps - not stripping at all - but I balance out the high cleansing side of the coconut oil by using a higher lye discount (aka superfat, kinda). plus I partner it with oils like safflower, olive, or shea butter.

regarding soapcalc.net "soap qualities". these don't take into account the superfat/lye discount, and as well it has some... errors, I guess. for example, olive oil soap has a 0 for cleansing, but it does clean! and it's supposed to be very soft, but olive oil bars get rock hard after a good cure. the hardness of your soaps can be estimated by the hardness of your oils mix - if you use a lot of stuff that's solid at room temp, your bars will be hard! so if you are concerned about hardness, keep those hard oils at 65% or above and you don't have to concern yourself - especially if you also have olive oil in there!

Thanks for the information. I agree with a lot of the responses on here. Me personally, I've used soapcalc.net since I started soaping and it does a great job with calculating lye and water, etc. (plus they did a GREAT job of including almost everything you could imagine putting in a soap), but for years, I only used about 10% coconut oil (76 degree) because the calculator said it was too drying. Recently I've realized that 20% is a good amount. And I have to agree with @carebear, soapcalc does not take into account moisturizing from goatmilk, superfat, any additives you put in, etc. So use soapcalc as just one of your tools. Another tool I use is a notebook with each of my soaping attempts, no matter how good or bad.

Latest posts

Back