COCONUT OIL INFUSION HELP! Mold! Jelly?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmeticNoobie

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just started infusing different oils and I am having a few problems I tried googling but got nowhere.

I used Coconut oil + DRIED mint leaves, double boiler low heat for about 4-6 hours. Strained it, canned it.

It has been sitting in the mason jar for about 8 hours now and I noticed its becoming a jelly like substance....is this normal?
Its like a smooth apple sauce I guess, I just noticed its thickening. I am not sure if this is it becoming cool, or becoming rotten, or some weird chemical reaction with the mint.

I really worry because this is the second batch of coconut infused oil I made...first was a moldy failure (I risked using fresh lilacs even though was warned it would go moldy...literally 2 days later it was white fuzzy little round dudes floating around in it)

Coconut oil is a solid oil it's going to reharden. I too use liquid oils to infuse. Never though to use CO. It will just need to be remelted and strained before using unless you want the brown bits in the soap.

Latest posts

Back