Coconut oil free Shampoo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was at a show yesterday and had a customer who is allergic to coconut oil ask if there are any shampoo products without put coconut oil. I told her that I would ask here as I do not make other than cp soap and lotion bars.

So, my question is: can anyone recommend coconut oil-free shampooing products?

Many thanks!
M

If you look on SoapCalc there are a few oils that are cleansing, besides Coconut Oil. Babassu oil is one. Some are kind of exotic and expensive but why not try? Spend some time with SoapCalc swapping out oil combinations till you find a combination of acids that mimic coconut oil soap. You don’t need to buy anything to play with SoapCalc. Try a combination of Murumuru, Babassu, Kokum, High-Oleic Safflower, etc, and you will really learn the properties of each oil too!

This makes an elegant feeling, coconut-free, shampoo bar, particularly nice for mature hair. It made my dear hubby's white hair shine with no trace of yellow (ugh):

14% PKO (Palm Kernal Oil)
23.5% Olive Oil
62.5 % Palm or Lard

33% lye concentration
2-3% superfat

If you look on SoapCalc there are a few oils that are cleansing, besides Coconut Oil. Babassu oil is one. Some are kind of exotic and expensive but why not try? Spend some time with SoapCalc swapping out oil combinations till you find a combination of acids that mimic coconut oil soap. You don’t need to buy anything to play with SoapCalc. Try a combination of Murumuru, Babassu, Kokum, High-Oleic Safflower, etc, and you will really learn the properties of each oil too!
Thank you!

This makes an elegant feeling, coconut-free, shampoo bar, particularly nice for mature hair. It made my dear hubby's white hair shine with no trace of yellow (ugh):

14% PKO (Palm Kernal Oil)
23.5% Olive Oil
62.5 % Palm or Lard

33% lye concentration
2-3% superfat
I will, for sure, try this. I happen to have “mature hair” myself. Look forward to trying this.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW I would never recommend a "Soap" bar to someone for shampoo. Sorry, Zany I know you love them but for someone with damaged hair like mine it would be disastrous and they would not know it. Mine damage is from stress this last year not soap usage on my hair since I never never use soap on my hair. It is sad because my hair has always been in beautiful condition until this mess with my mom, now one would think I am under chemo treatments. :( That is another reason to never recommend soap to a customer as shampoo you never know health or treatment they may be going through.

my grandchild has a long blond and shiny hair, She uses my syndets but one day she mixed the one for the body with probably high ph, with the shampoo, Immiediately her hair lost shine. I could not believe it, How dull it looked, the one she used is probably 9 ph. Her hair is like Liquid gold but not after using high ph
I wish Zany would show us how shiny and helthy her hair is. Using soap on it

I wish Zany would show us how shiny and helthy her hair is. Using soap on it
upload_2019-10-20_9-7-7.png

Your wish is my command... I'm new to using a cell phone but I managed to get this shot this AM, just for you, Dahila! :D If you know how to zoom in, you can see a few silver threads amongst the brown.

I'm envious of that color @Zany_in_CO, even with the silver :D

I think.. Some people can use soap on their bodies n some can't so it's safe to say the same is the case for lye based shampoo? I know it's been discussed tons, but just saying.....

Not trying to play Devil's Advocate here, but is this your natural color Zany? I ask because hair colorants are loaded with conditioners today and do leave the hair shiny. I comment to my mom every time I color her hair how nice the new colors are today. I am not talking 3 step funky colors I am talking natural colors such as browns. If your hair is naturally this color you are very very lucky at our ages. Just the cosmetologist in me coming to the surface.;)

I'm envious of that color @Zany_in_CO, even with the silver
It must have been the lighting in the bathroom. My hair color is more of a mousey brown... according to my hairbrush! :rolleyes:
Not trying to play Devil's Advocate here, but is this your natural color Zany?
LOL Carolyn, you sound just like my SL in Arizona, a former hairdresser. She raised an eyebrow when I told her it's my natural color when I last saw her. Also, see my reply to Dawni above. I shampooed with one of my liquid shampoos; rinsed with 1-2 Tbls ACV in 16 oz water -- using increasingly cool water until it was as cold as I could stand it (think "Viking); a couple of drops of oil infused with lavender, rosemary, and tea tree. No dye; no product whatsoever.
Wow @Zany_in_CO you look about 30 years younger than you lead us to believe. Good genes or alter ego?
LOL Thank you! I was too chicken to post the face shot, Millie. :p I have "battle scars" that reveal every one of my 76 years. :eek: To answer your question: Good genes (99.6% Eastern European, i.e. Polish), 15 years of homemade bath and body products, a fairly healthy diet and lifestyle.

Last edited:
You are fortunate Zany and that is Genetics. I am aware you do ACV rinses and are one of few that the ph of soap does not bother your hair. Not all hair is the same.

I had a customer many years ago with thick dark brown hair without a strand of gray at 80 yrs young. It was her natural hair. Sadly she had to go under chemo and we know what happened to her hair. I felt so sorry for her when she felt she was being punished for being vain about her hair, of course, I told her no way the big fella above would not do that. Her hair did come back, even a darker brown again without gray and was very curly. :D

View attachment 42120

Your wish is my command... I'm new to using a cell phone but I managed to get this shot this AM, just for you, Dahila! :D If you know how to zoom in, you can see a few silver threads amongst the brown.
thank you sweet heart, I managed to take a pic of mine similar color, twice more with all due respect, but I use a lot of protein in my syndet bar, When I show my blondie granchild after using my shampoo people just buy it ;) I know there is a small number of people who are ok with high ph. Nice hair nice color , Zany thank you
Carolyn is right, genetics play a huge role. Huge
I wish I had as beautiful hair as you do Zany, My is fine and not to much of it

no Zany it is not, you should see mine 7 hair in 5 roads soft similar to baby hair
I think yours is beautiful, maybe you had never seen real thin hair

Oh my, that's REALLY bad. :eek:
But I think I know my own hair. I've been struggling with it all my life. I do take good care of it but it still doesn't hold a set or brush style dry. And once again, it doesn't look like that picture in real life. It's quite mousey with some gray and makes a skinny pony tail.

When I was young, even then it was hard to create volume so I would bleach and perm it. I found this old picture in an old photo album and clipped it to the fridge to shoot it, hence the "chip clip" at the top. Here's me at 29, bleached & permed:

upload_2019-10-22_8-26-31.png

Back