Coconut Oil for Laundry

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapPoopette

Reaction score
I tried searching this topic with no success. I want to make another laundry soap with about 40-50% coconut oil. Can any of you experienced laundry soapers help me out? I don't want my clothes to disinergrate from using too much. :lol: I guess I should add, the other 50-60% would be lard.

Thanks for your help.
SoapPoopette :)

Hummm...Nobody told me you can't use all coconut so that what I do because it doesn't have any odor to it. I just grate about a pound of it and add washing soda and borax. I think it disolves much easier without the other oils.

I recently tried adding plain vegetable oil and soaped it at 0%. I then made a liquid laundry soap. It developed a horrible smell. I checked and the oil was not rancid. So... from experience I would say stay away from soy oil.

Lard or tallow sounds like a decent choice. I think I would choose tallow.

I know there must be more of us out there that make our own laundry soap.

Sudsy Bubbles

Thanks for your response, Sudsy Bubbles. I actually thought about using all coconut oil due to its cleansing properties. I think I definitely will try it that way first and see what happens. :D

SoapPoopette

I just use up my 'oops soaps'. Never really noticed a difference in the final. Other than your bad smell batch have you noticed a big difference?

I always make my laundry det liquid, and then I only use 1 to 2 tbsp per load. Gets my clothes clean, anymore and I end up with greying whites.

I just grated up my all coconut soap and plan use it dry this time. I always add about 1/4 cup white vinegar and just a touch of Downy(2 Tablespoons) to the final rinse. The clothes smell nice and fresh. The coconut soy soap was stinky..I threw it out!

I am expecting the powdered form to disolve readily because it always does when I melt it down for the liquid.

Sudsy Bubbles

Yup! Plain coconut soap disolves fine in cold or hot water. I grated the soap and let it dry a day. Then I mixed 1 pound of the soap with 2 cups borax, 2 cups washing soda and 1 cup biz. I ran it through the blender and it is perfect.

Sudsy

Back