Coconut Oil Category

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mymy

Reaction score
Hello guys! I'm quite happy today because I found a soap supplier that offers the best price so far. So I bought several items from her. I'm curious regarding the coconut oil that I purchased . It came in liquid form and has SAP value of 258. Under which category shall I click on soapcalc? coconut 76, coconut 96 or fractionated? Thank you in advance! :)

I am interested to know as well. I have a bit of fractionated cco I got for another project but it is nothing like the 76. It is completely melted at room temperature. That might help you eliminate that one?

Dharlee : I just asked her few mins ago and she said it's not fractionated either. I can conclude that it's 96?

It sounds like fractionated to me. 76 means it melts at 76 degrees and 92 melts at 92 degrees. If indeed it is fractionated then it will soap differently.

The NaOH sap value for 76 and 92 are about the same -- around 0.182. The NaOH sap value for fractionated is about 0.238 according to my notes. Either this supplier is misinformed about the sap value of his/her product or the product is mislabeled or something.

normal room temperature here is about 37-38 deg celcius or 98-100 Fahrenheit.

https://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/resources/sapon.asp

Dividing the SAP value by 1402.50 or multiplying the KOH ratio by 40/56.1 (the ratio of the molecular weights of NaOH/KOH), gives us the amount of NaOH required for any unit, as long as you use the same units to measure your NaOH and Oils. Example: An oil with an average SAP value of 190 will require 190/1402.50 = 0.135 g of NaOH per 1 g of oil, 0.135 ounces NaOH per ounce of oil, or 0.135 pounds of NaOH per pound of oil.

258/1402.5 = .184

Hello guys! I'm quite happy today because I found a soap supplier that offers the best price so far. So I bought several items from her. I'm curious regarding the coconut oil that I purchased . It came in liquid form and has SAP value of 258. Under which category shall I click on soapcalc? coconut 76, coconut 96 or fractionated? Thank you in advance! :)

Thanks for bringing that up -- good point, Nevada.

Be aware that some suppliers who deal mainly with handcrafted soapers will give an NaOH sap value, not the more traditional KOH sap value. If the basis of the sap value is not clear, I'd sure ask which one the supplier is providing.

thank you everyone! god bless all of you, now i can soap in peace. you guys are the best! :)

Carolyn : It is bottled this way. Yes, that is the only label on the bottle.

1447696730756.jpg

My MCT from Soapers Choice is very clear oil and does not solidify even when the weather is cold. The color of the oil in the pic throws me off. If the seller gave you the Sap value I would try it in a small test batch using the fractionated coconut oil value in soap calc. (which is the highest sap they have in the calc) I have never used Fractionated in soap only lotions.

You can always put the bottle in the fridge for a day or 2. If it's fractionated, it won't solidify.

From what I understand, if it's fractionated or MCT, the lauric and myristic acids have been removed and it won't behave in the same bubbly manner in your soap as coconut 76 or 92.

IrishLass :)

Carolyn, The only solid CO in room temperature that I've seen in this country is Country Farm Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (it comes in a glass bottle) . The rests are liquid. My previous CO was quite translucent and less brown compared to this. The aroma was strong too. This one is pretty weak, I'll give it a try first and let's see what happens. I'm gonna keep it in the fridge. Thank you for the suggestion IL. :)

My fractionated CO is clear liquid as well. I don't know if it always is- mine came from WSP (I *think*)

Edit: That sure looks repackaged to my eye.

As IL mentioned, put it in the fridge and see if it hardens. 76º F coconut oil melts at 76 degrees and 92º F melts at 92 degrees. So if it is hot where you live it will stay liquid, mine does in the summer and re-solidifies in the winter. Since you cannot know for sure the type I would run a little 4 oz batch using the sap for 72º coconut, and one with the Fractionated Coconut oil sap. I am still guessing from the color it is not fractionated

You can always put the bottle in the fridge for a day or 2. If it's fractionated, it won't solidify.

From what I understand, if it's fractionated or MCT, the lauric and myristic acids have been removed and it won't behave in the same bubbly manner in your soap as coconut 76 or 92.

IrishLass :)

Sorry I had to bring up this topic again. yes, they solidified in the fridge. thank you for your suggestion. :)

Latest posts

Back