Coconut Oil and Shampoo Bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to make a batch of shampoo bars this weekend. These will be a first for me, and from what I am reading online most recipes that I have found seem similar to other basic CP soaps.

I am just questioning the CO in the shampoo bars. I am not sure of whether this ingredient is being included by design for cleaning properties or if it is just an easy oil to access and so more people use it in recipes. Can it irritate the scalp?

Does anyone have any input or suggestions?

Have tou read the thread on the shampoo bars? Its either on the beginners or the lye soap subforum. It is a veeeery long thread but there is a ton of information and recipes there you might want to try. I’m only half way trough it, but from what I’ve seen a lot of them dont contain coconut.

Edit: here it is https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/shampoo-bar-thanks-lindy.30946/

I don't use CP shampoo on my hair. Been there, done that and had to cut all my hair off. No, CO does not belong in a soap if you plan on trying to use it on your hair. It will totally strip the natural oils. Read the thread that's been posted above if you are going to try making shampoo bars. There are many threads regarding this on the forum. Some have no problems with them others (me) it ruined their hair. Also, if you color your hair CP soap will strip the color out quicker.

Thank you both for your input! I've never gone down this path before because I am nervous about soap in hair - but lately there have been a lot of requests.

I'll check out the recommended thread. Thank you for confirming on the CO!

Make sure that what they are asking for is HAIR SOAP, not SHAMPOO BARS. There is a difference. Soap is made with lye. Shampoo is made with surfactants. Two completely different things.

I just read the entire thread this week. Thought posts 1, and 808 on the last page were the most critical.

Back