Coconut Oil and Palm Kernel Oil Opinions Please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha! I don't have any olive. Can I sub it for something else?
Normally I would say yes but olive oil is one of the basic legs of the Trinity Oils for good reason I won't go into here. JMHO, no self-respecting soap maker should be without it on their supply shelf. 😁

You can buy Pomace OO or Grade A OO (NOT EVOO) from Soapers Choice when you order your PKO flakes. Or pick some up from the grocery store.

QUALITIES OF SOAPMAKING OILS

Last edited:
Normally I would say yes but olive oil is one of the basic legs of the Trinity Oils for good reason I won't go into here. JMHO, no self-respecting soap maker should be without it on their supply shelf. 😁

You can buy Pomace OO or Grade A OO (NOT EVOO) from Soapers Choice when you order your PKO flakes. Or pick some up from the grocery store.

QUALITIES OF SOAPMAKING OILS
I'm not really sure why I stopped using OO. It wasn't intentional, it just stopped fitting into my FA profiles that I like for my soaps and it got left along the soapy road somewhere a few years ago. lol

@AliOop - I'll have to check out the FA profile of OO and then your 2. Maybe there is something my soaps are missing in the FA profile realm.

@AliOop - I'll have to check out the FA profile of OO and then your 2. Maybe there is something my soaps are missing in the FA profile realm.
I don't use a whole lot of soft oils in my recipes, but when I do, it tends to be some combination of AO, SAO, HO sunflower, or HO safflower, depending on what I found on sale at Costco, Walmart, Trader Joe's, etc. ;)

I give @AliOop 2 thumbs for this sub for olive oil. :thumbs: :thumbs:

It isn't just about the FAs. Shelf-life (3 years for OO), unsaponifiables (OO and Avocado), good for dry/sensitive skin, the ability of OO to bring other oils into saponification, etc., comes into play.

FWIW, soapers tend to choose HO Sunflower, HO Canola or RBO as subs for OO in soap formulas. IMO and IME, for one reason or another, none of those 3 come close to what OO brings to the formula unless paired 50/50 with OO.

Early in my career, @Bunny (Runs With Scissors LOL) was the "Queen of Castiles." From her, I learned that Almond Oil is the best sub for OO in Castiles. I've made both hard bars and liquid soap with 100% AO and am amazed at the positive result. Adding a bit of Avocado Oil to the mix makes perfect sense to me. I use both of those oils in leave-on products like my basic hand and body lotion for their skin-friendly beneficial qualities.

I give @AliOop 2 thumbs for this sub for olive oil. :thumbs: :thumbs:

It isn't just about the FAs. Shelf-life (3 years for OO), unsaponifiables (OO and Avocado), good for dry/sensitive skin, the ability of OO to bring other oils into saponification, etc., comes into play.

FWIW, soapers tend to choose HO Sunflower, HO Canola or RBO as subs for OO in soap formulas. IMO and IME, for one reason or another, none of those 3 come close to what OO brings to the formula unless paired 50/50 with OO.

Early in my career, @Bunny (Runs With Scissors LOL) was the "Queen of Castiles." From her, I learned that Almond Oil is the best sub for OO in Castiles. I've made both hard bars and liquid soap with 100% AO and am amazed at the positive result. Adding a bit of Avocado Oil to the mix makes perfect sense to me. I use both of those oils in leave-on products like my basic hand and body lotion for their skin-friendly beneficial qualities.
Ok, I will buy some OO and try it out against my current recipe. I will be fair and make it exactly the same but with OO instead of HO Sunflower, and RBO. :)

FWIW - How to use SoapCalc to compare FAs.

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 9.24.27 AM.png

LEFT: 100% Olive Oil
RIGHT: 50/50 Almond/Avocado

Latest posts

Back