Coconut Oil and Palm Kernel Oil Opinions Please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the current consensus of PKO for those that have used both PKO and CO? Is one milder or less drying than the other? Is it better to use them in combination, say 50/50 etc.?

I did find and read an older thread (2016) regarding the two choices. Just wondering if people still feel the same or if people have moved away from one or the other for reasons other than environmental concerns.

As far as the feel of the lather in finished bars, I like a roughly equal blend of the two. PKO does seem milder to me, but its higher melt point makes it tougher to soap cool without getting false trace.

Since I'm usually soaping cool in order to make designs that require a fluid batter, that often means that CO is the better choice than PKO or a CO/PKO blend.

As far as the feel of the lather in finished bars, I like a roughly equal blend of the two. PKO does seem milder to me, but its higher melt point makes it tougher to soap cool without getting false trace.

Since I'm usually soaping cool in order to make designs that require a fluid batter, that often means that CO is the better choice than PKO or a CO/PKO blend.
Ok, I wasn't aware of the diff in melting point, but it makes sense for cooler cold process soaps. I think I'm going to order some and try it out. My daughter has been resistant until now. I think I will take advantage of her change and order it quickly! lol

I use either one or the other. A too high percentage of either can result in a bar that is drying to the skin and reduces the longevity of the soap. I use a combination of coconut oil, palm oil, and soft oils for most of my soap.

Ok, I wasn't aware of the diff in melting point, but it makes sense for cooler cold process soaps. I think I'm going to order some and try it out. My daughter has been resistant until now. I think I will take advantage of her change and order it quickly! lol
If you are making HP shave soap (which I think you mentioned in the other thread), then the higher melting point is moot. Let us know how it turns out!

I use either one or the other. A too high percentage of either can result in a bar that is drying to the skin and reduces the longevity of the soap. I use a combination of coconut oil, palm oil, and soft oils for most of my soap.
Sounds like the sweat spot for most is 50/50. :)
If you are making HP shave soap (which I think you mentioned in the other thread), then the higher melting point is moot. Let us know how it turns out!
Yes, I do make HP. I will let you know how it turns out once I get my PKO in. :)
I prefer 50/50 CO/PKO
I think I'll be giving 50/50 a try. It seems to be the magic number for most people. :)

Thank you all for you input! Very much appreciated!

Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to fight with the hard coconut oil (the jars from Costco have a foil seal, and I find it impossible to remove it from the rim of the container, so I can't soften it in the microwave) and I'll use PKO flakes (I also sometimes use babassu), and I redo Soap Calc for whichever one I use, but I don't notice much of difference between them.

I think I'm going to order some and try it out.
Be sure to order the flakes. They are easier to weigh and work with. Regular PKO is solid and hard to dig out. :thumbs:

To me, Zany's Palm Olive Soap, made with PKO + Palm + Olive has an elegant feel, more so than my soaps made with coconut oil. Great shampoo bar for grey hair. Leaves hair bright and shiny with no "yellow" tinge.

I use CO & PKO in one recipe from Zonella "Zo" Gould who co-wrote Soap and Other Obsessions. It's her DOVE BAR dupe with CO/PKO + Tallow/Lard + RBO/Sunflower + Castor. Lathers like a mad dog!
Good for dry/sensitive skin. :tub:

I make 50/50 PKO & LARD aka "HOGWASH" Liquid Soap which is a family and friends favorite. ❤️

Be sure to order the flakes. They are easier to weigh and work with. Regular PKO is solid and hard to dig out. :thumbs:

To me, Zany's Palm Olive Soap, made with PKO + Palm + Olive has an elegant feel, more so than my soaps made with coconut oil. Great shampoo bar for grey hair. Leaves hair bright and shiny with no "yellow" tinge.

I use CO & PKO in one recipe from Zonella "Zo" Gould who co-wrote Soap and Other Obsessions. It's her DOVE BAR dupe with CO/PKO + Tallow/Lard + RBO/Sunflower + Castor. Lathers like a mad dog!
Good for dry/sensitive skin. :tub:

I make 50/50 PKO & LARD aka "HOGWASH" Liquid Soap which is a family and friends favorite. ❤️
Flakes certainly sounds like the way to go. Looks like the big difference between the oil and the flakes is oleic and linoleic.

I would love to try the Dove Bar dupe! That was our soap of choice before I started making it myself. :)

I use 2/3 coconut and 1/3 PKO. I think PKO can have a waxier feel if used too high but overall think a blend of the two is my preference over straight coconut oil. I think the flakes are not as waxy and use them in my lipbalms. Since each flake is so light weight they can get stuck on spoons and then on my kitchen counter or floor. Most of the time the flakes are more expensive than the block. If buying the regular it needs to be in a box or container with a wide opening. In the summer it is easy enough to get out, in the winter I need a knife to chop it up. I purchase both depending on my mood, time of year, and cost.

I feel another experiment coming my way.
1 recipe 3 ways: CO only, PKO only, and 50/50.
Why am I not surprised? Good for you!
Perhaps a 300 gram batch each of Zany's Palm Olive for your base recipe? As is, the bar has the feel of triple-milled French soaps that I aspire to achieve.
I look forward to reading about the difference. :computerbath:

I use 2/3 coconut and 1/3 PKO. I think PKO can have a waxier feel if used too high but overall think a blend of the two is my preference over straight coconut oil. I think the flakes are not as waxy and use them in my lipbalms. Since each flake is so light weight they can get stuck on spoons and then on my kitchen counter or floor. Most of the time the flakes are more expensive than the block. If buying the regular it needs to be in a box or container with a wide opening. In the summer it is easy enough to get out, in the winter I need a knife to chop it up. I purchase both depending on my mood, time of year, and cost.
Oh wow, I will have to try it lip balm too! :) Thanks!

Why am I not surprised? Good for you!
Perhaps a 300 gram batch each of Zany's Palm Olive for your base recipe? As is, the bar has the feel of triple-milled French soaps that I aspire to achieve.
I look forward to reading about the difference. :computerbath:
Haha! I don't have any olive. Can I sub it for something else?

Your wish is my command. Check your Email. :D
Thanks!!! Can't wait to try it out!

Oh wow, I will have to try it lip balm too! :) Thanks!

Haha! I don't have any olive. Can I sub it for something else?

Thanks!!! Can't wait to try it out!
I don't make a lot of lip balms and got frustrated dealing with graniness. I switched to PKO to avoid butters. They are soft and smooth and lighter feel. Not as heavy duty for chapped lips but nice for everyday.

Latest posts

Back