Coconut Milk?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSowers

Reaction score
For the ones that use Coconut Milk, what properties does it give to CP?

I see alot of people use it in their soaps.

TIA

Faye:

Yesterday I gave my wife batch #22 (four weeks old), which is a coconut Mango with coconut milk. I tried it this morning and it is so very creamy and smooth on my skin. My wife also complimented the soap, She said it made her skin feel very smooth and silky. I know the other ingredients contribute also but the Coconut milk does seem to add to the skin softing and smoothing. This soap only utilized 10% Coconut milk. I believe the Coconut FO also adds to the Dark color over Time.

edited Evidently the Coconut milk doesnt contain the same properties as the coconut oil and according to Paul will not saponify.

Hi Neil,

I am thinking to coconut milk as half my liquid, (use aloe vera juice as the other half liquid and mix with lye) and add the coconut milk at trace, will it be ok?

thx

Okay, so what I need to do is, figure the coconut milk into the lye calculator just like an oil, right and use the Coconut oil 76 for the milk.

I have some powered coconut milk, think I will give it a try.

Thanks Neil.

Sorry yours turned dark. It was so pretty before.

FSowers said:
Okay, so what I need to do is, figure the coconut milk into the lye calculator just like an oil, right and use the Coconut oil 76 for the milk.

Thanks Neil.

No, wrong. This will be a dangerous recipe figured as stated. :wink: You figure coconut milk as a liquid in soapcalc, NOT as 76* coconut oil! Coconut milk and coconut oil are two totally different things. I use goats milk and have used coconut milk a few years ago. Coconut milk, goats milk, aloe vera juice, soy milk, butter milk, bovine milk, any and all are just liquids, like water is, when calculating your recipe. Each does lend their different qualities to the finished bar, but none, not a one have a SAP value, as an oil like coconut oil has; they cannot be saponified! :) There is no place at soapcalc.com for coconut milk as it has no SAP value, just another liquid as GM or aloe vera juice is. I would mix my lye into water and use that as part of the liquids and the rest as coconut milk. You could make a 50% strength lye solution and add Cm as the remainder to dilute the solution to the 33% or whatever % solution the recipe called for.

Paul

Neil, I haven't had any trouble with coconut milk turning soap dark. I made a batch of 100% coconut soap with coconut milk & Island coconut FO (yup, went all out on the coconut!! :lol: ) and it is fine, a light beige colour, which would be due to the FO, it is known to discolor.

Soapmaker Man said:
FSowers said:

Thanks Neil.

No, wrong. This will be a dangerous recipe figured as stated. :wink: You figure coconut milk as a liquid in soapcalc, NOT as 76* coconut oil! Coconut milk and coconut oil are two totally different things. I use goats milk and have used coconut milk a few years ago. Coconut milk, goats milk, aloe vera juice, soy milk, butter milk, bovine milk, any and all are just liquids, like water is, when calculating your recipe. Each does lend their different qualities to the finished bar, but none, not a one have a SAP value, as an oil like coconut oil has; they cannot be saponified! :) There is no place at soapcalc.com for coconut milk as it has no SAP value, just another liquid as GM or aloe vera juice is. I would mix my lye into water and use that as part of the liquids and the rest as coconut milk. You could make a 50% strength lye solution and add Cm as the remainder to dilute the solution to the 33% or whatever % solution the recipe called for.

Paul

AMEN! Coconut milk is just a liquid or an "additive" if it's added in powdered form. Any "fat" that is present in a milk adds a nice feel and creaminess to a soap, but it's not a fat in and of itself.

Using coconut milk in place of coconut oil, and figuring this in the lye calculator, would give you a lye heavy batch of soap! There in not enough oils in the recipe the called for lye to saponify. Since the coconut milk does not saponify, then you would have a lye heavy batch. I just wanted to the correct info so a newbie would not try this procedure. :wink: There is a lot is info out there that is wrong, and perhaps we read it and take it as proven, when it may have been a simple misunderstanding or typing error.

Paul

Did I miss read Neil's reply? :oops:

Thanks Paul for the claification. I haven't made it yet.

Do I need to freeze the milk and add to the lye water or just add it at trace in my oils?

Faye Im sorry for trying to help. I may have mislead you. Please if you have any question concerning Coconut milk ask Paul Im sure He will be glad to help. anyway I hope all goes well.

Well Faye, since I use a premade lye solution of 50% lye solution, I add my goats milk after I have added the required amount of 50% lye solution to the oils. I just incorporate the lye solution, then add the GM to the slurry to bring the total lye strength to what I want, say a 335 strength, since goats milk is treated as any other liquid, as if water had extra fatty acids in it. Those acids would add to the superfatting amount. I soap at a 4.5% lye discount, knowing that my GM will add to that number.

Paul

Lord Neil, don't be sorry. No harm done.

You have more soaping experience than I do.

I appreciate any and all help.

Soapmaker Man said:
Well Faye, since I use a premade lye solution of 50% lye solution, I add my goats milk after I have added the required amount of 50% lye solution to the oils. I just incorporate the lye solution, then add the GM to the slurry to bring the total lye strength to what I want, say a 335 strength, since goats milk is treated as any other liquid, as if water had extra fatty acids in it. Those acids would add to the superfatting amount. I soap at a 4.5% lye discount, knowing that my GM will add to that number.

Paul

So add it after I have added the lye water to the oils?

Neil, please don't be upset. :? :( I am not a great master soapier, just know that perhaps there was some misunderstandings, and I wanted to correct the situation before some harm befell someone. Lord, I have been told many things by others when I have been wrong in my soap career, and I still make mistakes, and am still learning every day here at this forum, and by experience. Not a big deal, OK. :wink:

I was reading this thread and though I would add my two cents worth. I have some coconut milk soap that I made 4 weeks ago and it turned out really well. I froze half of the coconut milk in cube trays and used refrigerated coconut milk for the other half. It turned out well. I used a pina colada FO. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks hard, smooth, and creamy. I'll keep you all posted.

P.S. I took Paul's advice when I started my experiment and it worked for me.

Back