Quantcast

Coconut Milk?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

FSowers

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
152
Reaction score
1
Location
South Carolina
For the ones that use Coconut Milk, what properties does it give to CP?

I see alot of people use it in their soaps.

TIA
 

Neil

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Messages
358
Reaction score
2
Faye:

Yesterday I gave my wife batch #22 (four weeks old), which is a coconut Mango with coconut milk. I tried it this morning and it is so very creamy and smooth on my skin. My wife also complimented the soap, She said it made her skin feel very smooth and silky. I know the other ingredients contribute also but the Coconut milk does seem to add to the skin softing and smoothing. This soap only utilized 10% Coconut milk. I believe the Coconut FO also adds to the Dark color over Time.


edited Evidently the Coconut milk doesnt contain the same properties as the coconut oil and according to Paul will not saponify.
 

NameThatCandy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2007
Messages
273
Reaction score
0
Location
Raleigh, NC
Hi Neil,

I am thinking to coconut milk as half my liquid, (use aloe vera juice as the other half liquid and mix with lye) and add the coconut milk at trace, will it be ok?

thx
 

FSowers

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
152
Reaction score
1
Location
South Carolina
Okay, so what I need to do is, figure the coconut milk into the lye calculator just like an oil, right and use the Coconut oil 76 for the milk.

I have some powered coconut milk, think I will give it a try.

Thanks Neil.

Sorry yours turned dark. It was so pretty before.
 

Soapmaker Man

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
88
Location
SW Missouri
FSowers said:
Okay, so what I need to do is, figure the coconut milk into the lye calculator just like an oil, right and use the Coconut oil 76 for the milk.

I have some powered coconut milk, think I will give it a try.

Thanks Neil.

Sorry yours turned dark. It was so pretty before.
No, wrong. This will be a dangerous recipe figured as stated. :wink: You figure coconut milk as a liquid in soapcalc, NOT as 76* coconut oil! Coconut milk and coconut oil are two totally different things. I use goats milk and have used coconut milk a few years ago. Coconut milk, goats milk, aloe vera juice, soy milk, butter milk, bovine milk, any and all are just liquids, like water is, when calculating your recipe. Each does lend their different qualities to the finished bar, but none, not a one have a SAP value, as an oil like coconut oil has; they cannot be saponified! :) There is no place at soapcalc.com for coconut milk as it has no SAP value, just another liquid as GM or aloe vera juice is. I would mix my lye into water and use that as part of the liquids and the rest as coconut milk. You could make a 50% strength lye solution and add Cm as the remainder to dilute the solution to the 33% or whatever % solution the recipe called for.

Paul
 

Becky

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2007
Messages
612
Reaction score
0
Location
Queensland, Australia
Neil, I haven't had any trouble with coconut milk turning soap dark. I made a batch of 100% coconut soap with coconut milk & Island coconut FO (yup, went all out on the coconut!! :lol: ) and it is fine, a light beige colour, which would be due to the FO, it is known to discolor.
 

NEASoapWorks

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2007
Messages
330
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan
Soapmaker Man said:
FSowers said:
Okay, so what I need to do is, figure the coconut milk into the lye calculator just like an oil, right and use the Coconut oil 76 for the milk.

I have some powered coconut milk, think I will give it a try.

Thanks Neil.

Sorry yours turned dark. It was so pretty before.
No, wrong. This will be a dangerous recipe figured as stated. :wink: You figure coconut milk as a liquid in soapcalc, NOT as 76* coconut oil! Coconut milk and coconut oil are two totally different things. I use goats milk and have used coconut milk a few years ago. Coconut milk, goats milk, aloe vera juice, soy milk, butter milk, bovine milk, any and all are just liquids, like water is, when calculating your recipe. Each does lend their different qualities to the finished bar, but none, not a one have a SAP value, as an oil like coconut oil has; they cannot be saponified! :) There is no place at soapcalc.com for coconut milk as it has no SAP value, just another liquid as GM or aloe vera juice is. I would mix my lye into water and use that as part of the liquids and the rest as coconut milk. You could make a 50% strength lye solution and add Cm as the remainder to dilute the solution to the 33% or whatever % solution the recipe called for.

Paul
AMEN! Coconut milk is just a liquid or an "additive" if it's added in powdered form. Any "fat" that is present in a milk adds a nice feel and creaminess to a soap, but it's not a fat in and of itself.
 

Soapmaker Man

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
88
Location
SW Missouri
Using coconut milk in place of coconut oil, and figuring this in the lye calculator, would give you a lye heavy batch of soap! There in not enough oils in the recipe the called for lye to saponify. Since the coconut milk does not saponify, then you would have a lye heavy batch. I just wanted to the correct info so a newbie would not try this procedure. :wink: There is a lot is info out there that is wrong, and perhaps we read it and take it as proven, when it may have been a simple misunderstanding or typing error.

Paul
 

FSowers

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
152
Reaction score
1
Location
South Carolina
Did I miss read Neil's reply? :oops:

Thanks Paul for the claification. I haven't made it yet.

Do I need to freeze the milk and add to the lye water or just add it at trace in my oils?
 

Neil

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Messages
358
Reaction score
2
Faye Im sorry for trying to help. I may have mislead you. Please if you have any question concerning Coconut milk ask Paul Im sure He will be glad to help. anyway I hope all goes well.
 

Soapmaker Man

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
88
Location
SW Missouri
Well Faye, since I use a premade lye solution of 50% lye solution, I add my goats milk after I have added the required amount of 50% lye solution to the oils. I just incorporate the lye solution, then add the GM to the slurry to bring the total lye strength to what I want, say a 335 strength, since goats milk is treated as any other liquid, as if water had extra fatty acids in it. Those acids would add to the superfatting amount. I soap at a 4.5% lye discount, knowing that my GM will add to that number.

Paul
 

FSowers

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
152
Reaction score
1
Location
South Carolina
Lord Neil, don't be sorry. No harm done.

You have more soaping experience than I do.

I appreciate any and all help.
 

FSowers

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
152
Reaction score
1
Location
South Carolina
Soapmaker Man said:
Well Faye, since I use a premade lye solution of 50% lye solution, I add my goats milk after I have added the required amount of 50% lye solution to the oils. I just incorporate the lye solution, then add the GM to the slurry to bring the total lye strength to what I want, say a 335 strength, since goats milk is treated as any other liquid, as if water had extra fatty acids in it. Those acids would add to the superfatting amount. I soap at a 4.5% lye discount, knowing that my GM will add to that number.

Paul
So add it after I have added the lye water to the oils?
 

Soapmaker Man

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
88
Location
SW Missouri
Neil, please don't be upset. :? :( I am not a great master soapier, just know that perhaps there was some misunderstandings, and I wanted to correct the situation before some harm befell someone. Lord, I have been told many things by others when I have been wrong in my soap career, and I still make mistakes, and am still learning every day here at this forum, and by experience. Not a big deal, OK. :wink:
 

Soapmaker Man

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
88
Location
SW Missouri
Yes Faye, I have found this is the best way, and you do not have to freeze it. Just add it slowly while stirring by hand.
 

pink-north

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
535
Reaction score
2
Location
Ottawa, Canada
I was reading this thread and though I would add my two cents worth. I have some coconut milk soap that I made 4 weeks ago and it turned out really well. I froze half of the coconut milk in cube trays and used refrigerated coconut milk for the other half. It turned out well. I used a pina colada FO. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks hard, smooth, and creamy. I'll keep you all posted.

P.S. I took Paul's advice when I started my experiment and it worked for me.
 

Latest posts

Top