Coconut milk with xanthan gum

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enny

Reaction score
I can not find pure coconut milk. The purest I can find contain coconut milk, water and xanthan gum, or guar gum. Can I use it as the liquid in CP soap? Will xanthan gum(guar gum) affect the quality of the soap? :confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
I can not find pure coconut milk. The purest I can find contain coconut milk, water and xanthan gum. Can I use it as the liquid in CP soap? Will xanthan gum affect the quality of the soap? :confused::confused::confused:

I doubt it does any harm, but if you want pure coconut milk, there are these two brands that come in cartons:

http://importfood.com/naturalcoconutmilk.html

Thanks, but I'm from Romania, is tricky to buy it from the USA.

Those are the two pure coconut milk brands exported from Thailand that I know of. They are uncommon even here, but maybe you can find a source closer to home. I think it should be fine to use the canned coconut milks, but they all contain carageenan or xantham gum.

I can not find pure coconut milk. The purest I can find contain coconut milk, water and xanthan gum, or guar gum. Can I use it as the liquid in CP soap? Will xanthan gum(guar gum) affect the quality of the soap? :confused::confused::confused:

That's exactly what I use (plus it's the only one I can find locally). I've had no problems using it in my soap so you're good to go!

Ditto to Kristay.

I sometimes use canned milk with those additives without any issues. Just make sure to stir it up really well since the coconut milk often separates a bit while it's on the shelf. I also like to freeze mine into cubes since all the sugars can really heat things up. Don't be too surprised if you're doing a full water replacement that you end up with a pudding consistency or lumpy bits in your lye solution... that's the lye saponifying the coconut milk fats. I like to strain to check for any undissolved lye crystals since they really cannot be seen.

I can only get canned coconut milk locally, containing coconut milk, water and guar gum. It's a thickening agent used extensively in the food industry. I use Thai Kitchen brand from Asian grocery section. There are cheaper brands in the Hispanic grocery sections, but with more additives. I've used the first one for years, never any problems. As noted in the thread, make sure you mix it really, really, well.

Last edited:
I just purchased a coconut milk containing only milk and water (unsweetened). I found it at my local organic store. The can says it is distributed by www.edwardandsons.com I have not been on their website but I hope this information helps everyone. Name on the can says "Native Forest".

I haven't had any problems with coconut milk in my soaps. I use Jamaican Choice though.I'm not sure how common that is outside of the NYC area but I know price can rise.

Back