Coconut Milk Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been wanting to make a Coconut Milk Soap and think I'm about ready to give it a try.
I've gone through as much information by brain can handle on this subject and I think I've got a decent recipe. I used DeeAnna's recommendations on not ignoring the added Coconut Milk fats/water etc. and did the math.

I have a couple of questions before I get started and was hoping someone here could help out. I'm using half a can of coconut milk and have included the calculations below.
1. I plan on using part of the coconut milk to the oils right before adding the lye/water mixture and the other half after the cook. Would it work to use half up front and half after cook or should I do a 70/30 (or less) ratio? 70 before cook and 30% after cook? Does it matter?

2. I am planning on adding an additional 2% SF in the form of herb infused grapeseed oil at the end of the cook. This is my first attempt at adding oil after the cook. I'm using a 5% SF in the soapcalc calculations so it would be a total of 7% SF. Thoughts?
Water to lye ratio = 2.7037:1

ok, I lied ... one last question. I assume the hardness/cleansing etc will stay the same since I am calculating and reducing the water and CO based on the calculations for the coconut milk. Is that correct?

upload_2019-12-20_14-1-29.png
upload_2019-12-20_14-2-5.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-20_13-59-18.png
    upload_2019-12-20_13-59-18.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 6
ok, I lied ... one last question. I assume the hardness/cleansing etc will stay the same since I am calculating and reducing the water and CO based on the calculations for the coconut milk. Is that correct?

My non-sciencey answer is - probably.
Most of the properties will undoubtedly be so close you won't be able to measure any difference if you had the tools and equipment to do so.
In my humble opinion we tend to split hairs from time to time with our modern methods.
For example: I assume that my sodium hydroxide is 100% pure when calculating superfat - it's never really 100% by the time I actually use it so my SF is going to be slightly higher than calculated.

When doing coconut milk you replace the water with the milk. It is a thin liquid substance. Coconut cream is a different thing and that you would add to oils.

Back