Coconut Milk Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubli

Reaction score
I am still pretty new to soap making,but have had much success with my whopping 5batches so far.I have even tried the goats milk soap using powder,50%of my water used for the lye solution and the other water portion used for reconstituting the milk and adding at trace.which works wonderfully though I would love it to be lighter and have even frozen it,I've managed a light tan.I love the feel,it's great!But there's that part in me that can not over come the fact that I just used an animal breast milk to wash my body.And the more I dwell on it the more disgusted I become.Strange,considering I am not a vegetarian or vegan.My question is this.....I am awaiting more supplies from bramble berry and am going to try Coconut milk instead.I have seen such lovely things on the net about it.Does this milk tend to stay lighter or not scorch as badly/easily?Should I use sweetened or unsweetened,or does it matter?And I am reading that it tends to heat up a lot so I'm guessing I should not cover or insulate right?Yes,that milk thing is weird to me,I even used to drink cows milk and the passed few years,when I think about it,It's like I have this image in my head of a human suckling a cow and how wrong that is and it's like"why do humans drink animal milk?"We are intended to drink our own mothers milk at birth(just as animals do amongst their own species) ImageUploadedBySoap Making1402079202.039630.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1402079202.039630.jpgand shortly there after for a while...not animal milk.Animals do seek out human milk...probably cuz it's just not right and they know it.WAAAAAy of topic there!Sorry.Anyway if someone could chime in about the coconut milk,That would be great.Thanks in advance :)I have attempted to add a pic of my last Gm soap which is only a week old yet and still curing.If it doesn't show then I guess I'm losing my computer savvy-ness :)

I meant "Do NOT seek out human milk.So,so sorry for that typo :)

Coconut milk soaps are great, I like it much better then animal milks. It seems to stay lighter the animal milk, at least for me it does. I use 50% water/50% coconut milk, due to the high % of fat in coconut milk, it will increase your superfat by about 5% if you replace 50% of your water.

Don't use the sweetened kind, just plain coconut milk in a can. Try to find a brand with the least amount of additives. Its a thick cream like substance and its quite tasty too.

Great !Thanks.I hope to like it better than the goats milk.

How ironic you mention salt bars!Just the other day I came across some site on the net that briefly mentioned them,and thought"I'll look into that later"and it totally slipped my mind.So,what are they....soap with salt...or like a detox soap?and the point you brought up about the coconut milk being high in fat...I hadn't considered that,thanks.Should I adjust my discount/superfat?I have been discounting at 5% and my water/liquid has been 30%.Does that sound good for using coconut milk?Thanks again for your help.I have like no one around me in real life to ask advice other than books :) Thanks again!

I use it all the time instead of half of water. I'm too much of a chicken to dissolve lye in it. I've tried 100% milk as liquid before and milk ended up burnt.
It is lovely in soap, adds a bit of creaminess and light cream colour without using too much TD. I lower my SF to around 3% as there is a bit of fat in coconut milk. I buy brand that has no additives, just coconut and water. It solidifies at the top of the can in cold weather so make sure you mix the thick layer through before using it.
I never noticed heating it up quickly, I even need to insulate like crazy sometimes to encourage gel.

I use it all the time instead of half of water. I'm too much of a chicken to dissolve lye in it. I've tried 100% milk as liquid before and milk ended up burnt.
It is lovely in soap, adds a bit of creaminess and light cream colour without using too much TD. I lower my SF to around 3% as there is a bit of fat in coconut milk. I buy brand that has no additives, just coconut and water. It solidifies at the top of the can in cold weather so make sure you mix the thick layer through before using it.
I never noticed heating it up quickly, I even need to insulate like crazy sometimes to encourage gel.

AWSOME!The 3% is actually what I was thinking.Thank you for your help.Yes,I wasn't too fond of the milk in lye either,yuck!Even freezing it didn't wok for me.Thanks!

Also,insulating doesn't cause coconut milk soap to overheat or possibly scorch like animal milk?I intentionally gelled one batch of goats milk soap,and could kick myself cuz I waisted a lot of ingredients,to see how it would be.Though I much prefer the gel characteristics in general,The milk in the soap made the batch a darker tan.You think "milk"it should be creamy.I am hoping with the coconut milk I can get a creamier off white at least. Thanks for every ones advice.I really appreciate you expertise.

Glad to help when I can. :)
My CM soaps sometimes gel really well and I never had issues with colour. It's usually the FO that will discolour tan or the type of the oil I use. Avocado oil will for example bring out greenish tinge to the finished soap.
Gelled soaps will in general be more off white and slightly darker in colour, regardless of liquid used. I personally don't mind it, as I like the feel and look of gelled soaps. ;)

This thread reminded me of some CM that a local store had on sale. I didn't buy any as I do not even know how CM would affect the product, but I am somehow kicking myself for not going with my first thought and buying it to try.

Oh lord!I am a convert to the light side now!I did the coconut milk soap this morning,And I have to say,"Kick yourself again ;) !" I don't know that I'll ever use goat milk again(for myself any way).I am amazed how almost white my soap is turning.It's still in the mold and is just finishing gel phase,but oh my gosh...it's like magic!How it feels to wash with...I don't know yet,but darn its pretty.I'm happy I tried it.I hope you can too.and good luck.

Just had to share my excitement and show my results.Thanks to all the nice helpful people here that helped.Just unmolded and removed paper from coconut milk soap,have not cut yet.It's been only 20 hours sense I actually poured.At this point with the goat milk soap,it had already darkened conciderably.But I'm thinking this cm soap is actually lighter than when I poured it(should have taken pic after pour),and it feels noticeably harder than gm soap(same recipe). And just for the record,yes,I know for a fact it DID gel,I saw it this time.But I also encouraged it with the lidded wood box and wrapping in towel.This time I used no essential oils,I wanted to smell just the soap,and honestly,I can not smell any discouraging odor.It actually smells like a just opened jar of refined shea butter.NO AMONIA stink.I'm pleased.I did the 50% water to dissolve lye,the other 50% liquid was my FULL fat cm.33% water and 3% lye discount.Did not freeze it.i added milk at med trace(I let milk rest in room temp bath so it poured easier cuz it was thick).I combined oils and lye water at 97degF.The pic will be a piece of my last gm soap compared to this cm soap(Which now that I compare the two,actually looks as though the gm has still gone a bit darker than last pic)ImageUploadedBySoap Making1402491422.184031.jpg

Ok, I am trying it next. I have frozen coconut milk in ice cubes ready to go, I just have to decide what fragrance now. You all are enablers! ;)

If you do the frozen milk method,will you please post a picture of your soap?I'm curiouser if the two different methods would make a huge difference in color.Thanks and good luck!I know with the gm soap,It made no difference at all.

Looks really good. I can't wait for you to try it, you will love it! Your GM has turned really dark, did it gel? Even with animal milk it shouldn't have turned that orange.
Another way to use the CM is to add it to your oils before the lye and blend it in really well.

Looks really good. I can't wait for you to try it, you will love it! Your GM has turned really dark, did it gel? Even with animal milk it shouldn't have turned that orange.
Another way to use the CM is to add it to your oils before the lye and blend it in really well.

I'm thinking it did gel.i didn't see it do it so I'm not positive.I don't have enough experience to look at a soap and know what's what yet.But yea...you can see my upset now with the two compared.I'm just Still surprised how much darker it us.Im so HAPPY with the coconut,I'm just beside myself at the moment!Thanks for your advice,it was good and a huge encouragement.It helps to have other Soap people to talk to,I have nada here,just me!Well,I mean I'm married with kids,but no other soapers around.I will try the"before lye" method next batch.You your advice/encouragement has meant a lot,as has others here.Thank you all!Really,that's heart felt.I am greatful!

coconut milk is awesome. it's my fave milk to soap with.

I freeze it and use it 100% .. it turns out really white if used with 100% coconut oil but I haven't tried it with other oils yet so can't comment on color in that situation.

If you have a dislike of animal milk and want to experiment try Oatmilk ... beautiful in soap, cheaper and easier than coconut milk.

Every person that tries the oatmilk soaps says they love them.

Attached photos of coconut milk with coconut oil (green and white) and an oatmilk made with various oils and 1/2 colored with rose clay and blue oxide mixed (making lavender) so you can see the difference in colors between the CO and OM.

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_3960.jpg

If you do the frozen milk method,will you please post a picture of your soap?I'm curiouser if the two different methods would make a huge difference in color.Thanks and good luck!I know with the gm soap,It made no difference at all.

I will definitely post pics. I have had really good luck with goat's milk using the frozen cube method, very little coloring/darkening, so I am confident it will go well. I'm only worried about how thick the cm is and if I will get the lye to dissolve well in it. I'm hopeful though.

To be continued! :mrgreen:

Back