Coconut Milk Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did it!My anxiety was so high I was shaking.then I had to remind myself to breath because I was trying not to smell the milk which this time I did get a gross smell,but it went away quickly.I wouldn't have known that had I not started breathing again.And the milk stayed pale cream color,NO yellowing at all.WOW!cant wait to see it in the morning.I'll put some pics up then.

Most of my soaps are made with coconut milk. I actually prefer the canned as its thicker and has more fat. I split my lye liquid and use half as the coconut milk and add it to my batter after I add the lye solution. My soaps come out white using it so I like it for my swirled soaps.

I use goat milk for my soaps that I know will discolor since goat milk tends to discolor my soap anyway. I don't have a problem with animal milk in my soap. Goat milk is a great selling soap and I have customers ask for it. So if you are planning to sell someday its something to consider.

Well,Just un molded,that 2nd coconut milk soap and it looks great very light and creamy color.no discoloring,smells wonderful.And at this point,unless it changes color a little,which I don't think it will,I don't know that my extra efforts this batch of freezing milk and keeping it white in the lye vrs adding it to oils around trace made any difference at all.I was so proud of myself for keeping that milk that creamy white with no yellowing at all,darnit!I was sure it would mean different results.Im very please with both batches.Hmmm,both are identical at this point.So I think if its no difference,why work and stress harder!Right?UNLESS....would the different methods have a different effect on lather and bubbles?we'll see.You good buddies have an opinion on this?

Last edited:
congrats on yer successful batches!

i personally prefer the 50-50 method. less hassle for me. i seriously don't have the time and patience to frozen my milk and adding the lye bit by bit. very rarely did i do a full liquid swap. the results are the same anyway, at least for me, so why bother. i'm taking the easy route :D

Dito,count me in!Guess I just had to learn for myself. ;)

I've used both goats milk and cm like them both. Gm is definitely more temperamental but mine never goes dark like that. I soap at room temps with it and don't gel it. However with how much easier cm is to use and find it makes more sense to use it.

Question. Why does coconut milk soap sometimes have a greenish grey, really funky color to it in the center when you first cut the fresh loaf? I have made three batches so far with same coconut milk and one turned this odd color, but shortly after being exposed to air it is slowly turning normal. No foul smell, no weird texture, just strange color? why does it do this? And all 3 went through gel? Could the fact that shea butter and palm oil were left out of the discolored batch be the culprit (though I don't see how that could be it) ? Well, that was more than one question, sorry?

I get that all the time with my CM soaps. I gell all of them and it almost always happens. Sometimes even a bit of funky smell. Colour and smell go away within first 24h after cutting. And I guess it goes away from inside the bars as they cure. I'm not sure why it happens though.
Oh, and I use palm oil and shea butter in all my soaps so that could not be reason. :)

Just have to say, I tried a piece if that soap I made with coconut milk, and there's no turning back now. Man that stuff is AWSOME! I have hard water and using shampoo bars on my hair and body leaves that heavy tacky build up feeling where you can't fool with your hair till it dries unless you use vinegar rinse. When I used that soap on my hair I immediately noticed it felt different after I rinsed, I had the vinegar on stand by as always, this time I thought, "no lets just see what it does." I have long, fine hair and let me tell you that cm almost illiminated the need for vinegar rinse in hard water. Didn't leave it as silky and able to brush right through effortlessly as after vinegar but there was no tacky nasty build up and there was hardly any build up into the brush that transferred from my hair. And now next day even, my hair is not heavy. It's like I used regular shampoo with no conditioner. I had been using the JR Liggett's shampoo bars, and I believe I just one up'd them. ;)

Latest posts

Back