Coconut Milk Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I freeze it and use it 100% .. it turns out really white if used with 100% coconut oil but I haven't tried it with other oils yet so can't comment on color in that situation.

If you have a dislike of animal milk and want to experiment try Oatmilk ... beautiful in soap, cheaper and easier than coconut milk.

Every person that tries the oatmilk soaps says they love them.

Attached photos of coconut milk with coconut oil (green and white) and an oatmilk made with various oils and 1/2 colored with rose clay and blue oxide mixed (making lavender) so you can see the difference in colors between the CO and OM.

Looks great !Nice coloring there.I may just try that.I'm quickly finding that soap making is kind of an expensive hobby :)The oat milk is something I haven't heard of yet,but will surely look into.Thanks.

I use it all the time instead of half of water. I'm too much of a chicken to dissolve lye in it. I've tried 100% milk as liquid before and milk ended up burnt.
It is lovely in soap, adds a bit of creaminess and light cream colour without using too much TD. I lower my SF to around 3% as there is a bit of fat in coconut milk. I buy brand that has no additives, just coconut and water. It solidifies at the top of the can in cold weather so make sure you mix the thick layer through before using it.
I never noticed heating it up quickly, I even need to insulate like crazy sometimes to encourage gel.

Which brand has only coconut and water? I want that! Where can I get some?

The one I used was Golden Star,I got it at Walmart in Asian/ethnic section.I also saw same brand on amazon."VERY THICK."But just water and coconut milk....no crap added :)Good luck! ImageUploadedBySoap Making1402503105.393383.jpg

i've had my fair share of the thick milk (coconut cream), you can make it thinner by adding water till you get the consistency you want.

the lye is easier to dissolve that way too.

I agree,the thickness was concerning,and i wasn't sure if watering it down was doable(my first try at cm),I thought maybe all cm was like that,never used it at all,didn't even know it existed until a couple weeks ago.I just warmed it in water bath and it flowed like normal milk).After checking my mail today,I had finally gotten another milk I ordered last week(before I became too impatient then scouring my tiny town for the only "no additive"one I found(golden star).This one I ordered,and haven't tried yet,is Aroy-D and is 100%,and apparently has nothing but milk and water,but it is obviously much more like milk and thin rather than spoonable cream.And I can actually see freezing and adding lye to this much thinner stuff and being able to dissolve the lye.With the thick stuff I used,I was thinking"there is NO way anyone dissolved lye in THAT!"So I'm adding a pic of what I got today for the person who asked about which kind to get.ImageUploadedBySoap Making1402512976.688450.jpg
I had to order this on line from amazon,cuz the rock I live under doesn't offer much variety in non basic food stuff.Unlike when I lived in California,anything you could need was readily available....and I could walk to get it verses nearly having to "road trip"and hope I can find it."

I like the thick kind but I never dissolve lye in it. I use just enough water to fully dissolve my lye then make up the rest in CM either right in the warm oils before the lye or at thin trace.

Good Idea.The thick stuff is surely better any way seeing there's more of the good stuff you're after and less water.

Which brand has only coconut and water? I want that! Where can I get some?

I'm in Australia and Ayam coconut milk is the only one found to be without additives.It's a little bit more expensive than others, but it's so luscious and thick. I use one in blue can.
Sorry I can't copy/paste links on my tablet, they end up in the middle of typed text, but if you Google it, it should come up. I think it's only sold throughout Asia and Australia though. Good luck in finding some online or near you.

Bubli, your soap turned out lovely!
Maybe you were lucky, experiencing no smell, but if you do, don't be discouraged. I usually get some of the off smell when I cut my soaps, but it goes away after few days. It's not enough to make me not use CM. ;)
I also stopped using GM almost completely. I tried every possible way of making GM soaps and always end up with cheesy smell and orange colour. Except when I make individual bars and even then, I have to be very careful not to gel them. :S

Thank you so much fuzz-Juzz.I'm(100%)happy with my soap,finally.And I agree,I think I won't do gm anymore,unless my mom wants some.She'd use it even if it were black,no joke ;) I haven't had the fortune others have had with it,though I want it so much.Destiny's way maybe of making me try CM.No,I stressed to much over soap to toss it over smell,LOL,I'd actually have to think it was going to kill me before I turned it loose ;) .Thanks again!

When I use frozen CM I weigh all the CM into a bowl and then slowly, slowly, slowly start adding in the lye and stir constantly. I only add a bit of lye at a time and never stop stirring (the time I stopped stirring the CM turned ORANGE) ... even after all the lye is in I keep stirring until the CM is all thawed and liquid.

Mine goes through a color change .. from frozen white to pale orange and back to liquid white, then I add it to the oils.

The oatmilk .. I mix 4 parts water to 1 part regular oatmeal. Leave sit for several hours, then stick blend until all mixed and pour quickly through a strainer. I weigh mine and use 100% water trade. Other people say they have trouble with 100% so they dissolve lye in water at 1:1 and add balance of water in oatmilk.

i'm familiar with Ayam brand, it actually means chicken in indonesian :) funny name huh, lol

bubli, when you soap with cm, bear in mind of its fat content. it can have an effect with yer final superfat.

I made my cm soap last night with a veggie recipe I have used before which the results were very little darkening, its by far my lightest bar in color so far. I used 100% cm frozen in cubes, it slightly darkened as the lye dissolved and man was it thick! I should have used a spatula to scrape the bowl. Definitely no strong odor, maybe a slight odor but not too bad.

I took pictures after pouring, an hour or so later, and now this morning. It definitely lightens as its curing. I'll post pics later.

I cannt wait to see your pics!Hurry up! ;)

and thank seven and MzMolly65.

I'm wondering,"Has any one tried multiple methods of incorporating the cm milk an noticed a lighter out come with a particular method over the others?"I know when I did this with the goat milk powder,the color was no different with any method.Next I'm trying to freeze my milk,instead of adding after trace,see how that goes.Thanks all.You're all AWSOME!

When I use frozen CM I weigh all the CM into a bowl and then slowly, slowly, slowly start adding in the lye and stir constantly. I only add a bit of lye at a time and never stop stirring (the time I stopped stirring the CM turned ORANGE) ... even after all the lye is in I keep stirring until the CM is all thawed and liquid.

Mine goes through a color change .. from frozen white to pale orange and back to liquid white, then I add it to the oils.

The oatmilk .. I mix 4 parts water to 1 part regular oatmeal. Leave sit for several hours, then stick blend until all mixed and pour quickly through a strainer. I weigh mine and use 100% water trade. Other people say they have trouble with 100% so they dissolve lye in water at 1:1 and add balance of water in oatmilk.

The oat milk sounds interesting.My daughter has eczema issues and I bet that would be beneficial.

With cm,I'm trying the frozen method tomorrow.But I'm so afraid of not being certain all the lye gets dissolved.Another poster said they do50%water to dissolve their lye then the other 50% frozen milk(which is what I actually tried with Goat Milk powder),this should work well with cm,right.But what I'm gathering,and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong,I promise I take no offense easily,the coconut milk does lighten back up in the soap as it sets and cools.It doesn't do like goats milk and turn brown?The cm soap I made 2days ago is still light,thankfully.But I made it 50%water for lye and 50%room yep at trace.

Here is another question that just came to mind...."what if the 50%(or full amount if not making milk soap)was frozen water,wouldn't this drastically lessen your cool down time for the lye and eliminate an ice bath(if you do use ice bath)?Just thinking out loud.Any thoughts on the matter?"

Oh wow!those are very light and creamy!I love them.and that was WITH freezing the milk right?Settled...I'm trying freezing!Thanks for the pics.Your soap looks great!

Yup, frozen cubes of coconut milk. Keep a spatula handy cause it is thick after you dissolve the lye. You will want to scrape the bowl to get it all in your oils. :)

I'm on it(first thing in the morning)!I have got so much soap it's unbelievable.When I first started,I read on the web,people talking about begging others to rid them of soap(like they were plagued with an over abundance or something),and I was thinking,"why would you want to give your precious creation away like that?"I get it now.It's called"impatience",and a lot of soapers have this disorder apparently.If I could only wait till one batch was almost gone before starting another,I'd be fine.Psh....who can wait like that?Not me!Bad enough I have to wait an eternity for the soap to even cure! :) Wish me luck.We'll see what I end up with.

Latest posts

Back