Coconut Milk in Rebatch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindy

Soap Diva Queen
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling with Coconut Milk in Rebatch. When I add CM to my rebatch, the soap gets really thick and hard fast, it basically seizes on me - then after it's in the mold it goes liquid. I end up having to leave it for about a week and then melt it back down, and then cook it in the Microwave for about 1.2 an hour at 30% power in 5 minute intervals. Can someone tell me why this is happening and how to fix it (other than to quit using CM in rebatching that is).

TIA

Lindy said:
I'm struggling with Coconut Milk in Rebatch. When I add CM to my rebatch, the soap gets really thick and hard fast, it basically seizes on me - then after it's in the mold it goes liquid. I end up having to leave it for about a week and then melt it back down, and then cook it in the Microwave for about 1.2 an hour at 30% power in 5 minute intervals. Can someone tell me why this is happening and how to fix it (other than to quit using CM in rebatching that is).

TIA

We could be of more help if you'd post your recipe. It may not be the coconut milk at all.

Hi Mandolyn,

This was a rebatch from my main Bastille which is:

240 oz EVOO
80 oz CO
44 oz Lye
100 oz Water

Then for the latest rebatch I took 16 oz of this soap grated, added coconut milk and melted. As the soap heated it turned just about into a rock so I added more fluid. This became the cycle until I had used almost a whole can of coconut milk and still it was still like a rock so I plopped it into a log mold. Within a couple of hours it was gooey gunk that eventually turned into a gel. It's now been over a week and last night I pulled it out of the mold (still not set up) and cooked it in the microwave for half an hour in 5 minute spurts at 30% power.

I used the master batch grated for other soaps without any problem, in fact I really like it, but every time I add coconut milk this happens. I know I used way too much CM which is why it wouldn't set up, but why did it seize in the first place?

Thanks

Lindy said:
Hi Mandolyn,

This was a rebatch from my main Bastille which is:

240 oz EVOO
80 oz CO
44 oz Lye
100 oz Water

Then for the latest rebatch I took 16 oz of this soap grated, added coconut milk and melted. As the soap heated it turned just about into a rock so I added more fluid. This became the cycle until I had used almost a whole can of coconut milk and still it was still like a rock so I plopped it into a log mold. Within a couple of hours it was gooey gunk that eventually turned into a gel. It's now been over a week and last night I pulled it out of the mold (still not set up) and cooked it in the microwave for half an hour in 5 minute spurts at 30% power.

I used the master batch grated for other soaps without any problem, in fact I really like it, but every time I add coconut milk this happens. I know I used way too much CM which is why it wouldn't set up, but why did it seize in the first place?

Thanks

I haven't used coconut milk, but my best guess is that it has sugar in it. Maybe that's what made it set so fast in the pot. Sugar makes cp soap heat up more. Sorry, that's about the best I can come up with.

Back