coconut milk and olive oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nordica

Reaction score
I am very much a newbie to soap making...and this forum. I've made some pretty good batches..but have also ruined a few too. I saw a vid on YouTube..making soap with frozen coconut milk and olive oil. She didn't mention the amounts of lye, milk etc...:Kitten Love: Does anybody have a simple recipe for this? I haven't started making anything fancy. No colors yet...but a bit of fragrance. Thanks:wave:

I'd just go to soapcalc http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp and play around with it a little bit.
Like if you're going for using olive oil as the only oil, I get this:

Total oil weight 1
Water as percent of oil weight 35 %
Super Fat/Discount 5 %
Lye Concentration 26.885 %
Water : Lye Ratio 2.72:1
Sat : Unsat Ratio 17 : 83
Iodine 85
INS 105

Ingredient Pounds Ounces Grams
Water 0.35 5.6 158.757
Lye - NaOH 0.129 2.059 58.377

# √ Oil/Fat % Pounds Ounces Grams
1 Olive Oil 100 1 16 453.592
Totals 100 1 16 453.592

Then I'd sub 1/2 my water for 1/2 of the coconut milk when making it.

You could use 100% Olive Oil with 100% Coconut Milk as the liquid in your recipe. That particular formula will be mild and creamy with low lather, and will need a good long cure of at least 3-6 months (longer would be better).
If you added some hard oils to that, it would be a more balanced bar with better qualities that would be cured in 4-6 weeks, in my opinion. Something like 45% Olive/30% Coconut or Babassu/20% Palm or Tallow/5% Castor would be a good start.
I prefer to add my milk at trace instead of as my total liquid. This negates the need to freeze the milk to prevent it from scorching from the lye. You would formulate your recipe and run it through a lye calculator to acquire the proper liquid and lye measurements. Then you would subtract the amount of milk you want to add at trace from the liquid amount. Take the revised liquid amount and make your lye solution, mx with your oils, then when you get a good emulsion or light trace, add your milk and blend.

Latest posts

Back