Coconut Fragrance Fail

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Love to Soap

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to soap making (since 01/18), and I must say, I am in love with this hobby. I have made some successful batches of soap, and some not so successful (lol), however, I have made Coconut Soap twice, with different recipes, but used coconut milk instead of water. Both recipes produced a great soap bar; good lather, moisturizing and hard, however, the coconut fragrance oil I used, did not make it. The soap smells like a cream, but not like coconut. Is it because I am using coconut milk instead of water? Please Help. Thanks.
Love To Soap

Welcome, Love to Soap! It is as Cellador said- finding a good coconut fragrance oil for soap is a challenge...........actually more than a challenge..........for many of us, it's more like trying to find the Holy Grail! lol Here is a link to one of the best threads we've had here on the subject: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/my-quest-for-coconut.52323/

IrishLass :)

^^^as IL said. Also Coconut FO are notorious for overheating so you really need to make small test batches to see how it acts. At least many of the Coconut fo's I have tried tend to overheat. The Coconut that is popular for is from soapsupplies.net, but it really needs to be made with the hot process method, as it heats up severely.

I read the link above about the testing for coconut oil f.o. My experience is somewhat different. WSP's Coconut Milk made a popular bar of soap for me. True it riced and accelerated and turned medium tan, but I dealt with that nastiness and I got a bar that is still holding scent for well over a year. It is not only coconut but finishes off with a muskiness that people love in lotion and soap. Next time I want to try their Caribbean Coconut because it's supposed to behave.

Coconut is our unicorn, LOL. Where did you get the coconut FO you used?
Indeed it is our unicorn. I got it from Crafter's Choice.

Welcome, Love to Soap! It is as Cellador said- finding a good coconut fragrance oil for soap is a challenge...........actually more than a challenge..........for many of us, it's more like trying to find the Holy Grail! lol Here is a link to one of the best threads we've had here on the subject: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/my-quest-for-coconut.52323/

IrishLass :)
Thank you!! I will read up. Hopefully, I can figure out something, because my clients love, love, coconut.

Thank you all for your help and replies. They are most helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! I have had success with natures garden coconut lime verbena. Now is not a 100 percent coconut FO, but I just used a bar I made a year ago, and the FO was still there. Maybe order a sample, and see if you like it.

I bought coconut FO from candle science really, and it really smells like the real thing, bit I am yet to use it n soap, so not sure how it will fair.

Thank you all for your help and replies. They are most helpful.
hey, even you can try with our Agilex Fragrances team, technical team who can provide you the support and help you in adding your desired coconut flavor for your soap manufacture & highly knowledge in chemical formulae, can come up with quality solutions

Dixie, just to say nope I haven't found a good coconut lime. The lime goes away faster than the coconut! I did NOT like the coconut lime verbena I got from somewhere (I don't remember) at all so I'm with you there.

Bitter Creek Coconut, I have an old bottle and it smells ok. I tried a small Salt bar batch but used less then I should have (wasn't thinking). Doesn't smell much like coconut :(

Anyone know how long this scent sticks around for? Debating on just tossing it

Back