Coconut cream and lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacey W.

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I used what I thought was leftover coconut milk in my freezer for soaping, but apparently it was coconut cream. I went to check the temp and lo and behold it is almost a bar of soap! It's hard and there is a small amount of liquid at the bottom. Can I still plop this into my warm oils and continue or should I make a fresh batch of lye water? Never had this happen before!

Thanks!
Stacey

I’d make up a new batch of lye. Double check if coconut cream is in a calculator, maybe what you’ve got will still work as it’s own bat

I’d make up a new batch of lye. Double check if coconut cream is in a calculator, maybe what you’ve got will still work as it’s own bat

Thanks so much, I tossed it. Lesson learned: label the little baggies you put in the freezer! I used the other half before but diluted with 50% water. I wanted to try full this time. Next time I will mix lye 1:1 and add the balance of cream at trace. The upside: the soap came out exactly thw way I wanted, minus the cream!

Also check your Calculations, don't do a discount.
Don't feel bad. I mixed 2 buckets of oils and then left them to soap another day. By then I had forgotten which oils I did. I just dumped it as I didn't know what it was :( Would rather not soap a 4# batch and have to wonder

Back