Coconut and other oils "body safe"?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Reaction score
I bought some palm oil and coconut oil from essentialdepot.com for soapmaking. But I love coconut oil in deodorant and lotions as well. I even use coconut oil for cooking. I sent an email to essential depot, asking if the oils were food grade and got an email back saying they did not sell food safe oils, only oils for soapmaking.

That got me wondering, then- if it's not safe for consumption, would the coconut oil and olive oil be safe for our skin? I mean, the reason I make my own lotions and products is to avoid chemicals. Skin is the body's largest organ, and I even make shampoo bars to avoid chemicals on my scalp. Now I"m rethinking body butters and lotions.

I assume it has to do with processing, but would someone look for a food-grade oil for lotions? Or am I way overthinking this?

I'm sure they're perfectly safe for your skin and such. But to sell them as food grade they would need other certifications and have to follow different laws and regulations.

Exactly as Genny said, there are different rules and regulations for processing of food grade or cosmetic grade oils.

Latest posts

Back