Coconut and Olive Soap- Advise on recipe !

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saqqa

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I got this recipe from Becky's Homestead
Olive oil coconut oil soap recipe:
• 29 FL OZ Coconut Oil
• 51 FL OZ Olive Oil
• 11.8 oz Lye
• 29.5 oz Distilled Water

My question-
I want to use OLIVE OIL POMACE and COCONUT OIL (which is not pure virgin, but its lower quality)
Will the recipe be the same ?

Imo, it will be the same, except that some members have reported that olive pomace oil traces faster than virgin olive.

Pomace traces quicker in my experience though I haven't used it in years. Why are you making such large batches when you're just learning and having issues with your soap. You should really make nothing bigger than 2 lbs at a time. That way when it goes wrong you're not wasting oils, lye etc.... just my personal opinion. The recipe you posted is bigger than most of mine and I make and sell soap.

I have to agree with lsg and shunt. I used pomace olive oil when I first started making soap because some was gifted to me. I do think it traces faster which may or may not be a problem for you. I haven't used it since the original supply I had was used up.

I also agree that this is a very large batch of soap. I don't sell, and most of my batches are right around 32 ounces of oils for my loaf mold. Do you use an online soap calculator? You can easily resize your batch that way.

Thanks guys for your input.
dibbles - I tried to input this recipe in the soapcalc, unfortunately am not getting proper setting, in what percentage of oil/lye concetration, superfat etc... so am not getting exact quantity as per the recipe, so i can alter it to make it smaller.

shunt2011 - yes dear, I dont want to make this big.. Am just trying to figure out how to get smaller batch of it. As I am using soapcalc but not getting exact settings how they came up with this recipe.

Enter your recipe as you have it in SoapCalc. At the top of the SoapCalc screen At #2 Weight of oils and if you want weight in pounds, ounces or grams and under that the total weight of all the oils. Choosing that option and inserting a smaller number should atuomatically adjust each amount of oil, lye and water after you hit the calculate button.

Follow what lsg said to resize your oils. All soap calculators can differ slightly in lye and water amounts, but it is usually negligible IMO.

You can adjust the water and lye amounts to be close to the original recipe by changing the lye concentration (box #3 on soap calc) and the superfat amount (box #4 on soap calc). So you would enter the recipe in the oil amounts listed, leaving box #3 (water as % of oils) and box #4 (superfat) on the default settings. Click on view recipe to see the amounts as written, and note the lye concentration number in box #3 (and the weight of the water) and the weight of the lye needed at the default setting of 5%. Comparing this to the original recipe will tell you how you need to make your adjustments. Go back to the recipe building page and make adjustments, then calculate the recipe again. Keep doing this until you are happy with the amount of water and lye corresponding to the original recipe, and go back to the recipe builder page and change the amount of oils to make the batch size you want, and recalculate again.

In this case, it looks like the recipe uses a lye concentration of 28% and a superfat of 3%.

Latest posts

Back