Coconut and olive oil liquid soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all Respected members!
since 3 days I am on continue work to get Liquid soap through cold process, I have made 15 different batches 3 of which I got what I wanted (pale amber color with no excessive caustic potash)
the recipe is
70% coconut oil
30% olive oil
problems are:
1: the end solid soap must be glassy translucent pale amber but I get opaque greenish or opaque whitish
2: how to rewatch if results are not what you needed
3: can I use HCL as PH adjuster
4: how to get rid of excessive un cooked fats
5: is there any industrial lye calculated for batch like 250 or 500 kg

please sort out these issue, I am stuck for the past 3 days
I want to get to the last one pale amber color

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-05-23 at 10.01.35 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-05-23 at 10.01.35 AM.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-05-23 at 10.01.34 AM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-05-23 at 10.01.34 AM (1).jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-05-23 at 10.01.34 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-05-23 at 10.01.34 AM.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 0
There's a lot of questions that would take some time to answer... so, to be brief, go to Alaiyna B's Blogspot and read all the Liquid Soap tutorials there, especially the Beginner's LS and Tips & Tricks to gain a better understanding of how we make liquid soap.

It's about more than simply replacing NaOH with KOH to make soap.

Just a head's up since you are a beginner -- there are about as many different ways to make Liquid Soap as there are LS'ers! LOL To get a good grounding in the method, and to do some troubleshooting on your own, here's a link to Alaiyna B's Blogspot.

Basic Beginner Liquid Soap and Information

There are a LOT of Liquid Soap recipes around. Most of them are large batches. No matter what recipe you try, start with small batches. Resize the batch to 12 oz oils = 16 oz. or 500 grams paste. You can then divide that up into four portions to play with to determine the optimum amount of dilution water, colorant, fragrance, etc. needed.

When using SoapCalc to calculate your lye, be sure to choose "KOH". (Seems obvious, but it's easy to forget.)

Under the "Water" heading, choose Water : Lye Ratio and type in 3:1. 
For Super Fat, I choose 0% because I want all my fats/oils fully saponified. Some LS'ers use 3-4% SF which is a matter of preference. It eliminates the need to neutralize excess lye.

Leave Fragrance blank until after the batch is diluted. Here's how it looks.

Soap Calc Entries.png

You can make it Cold Process but you need to use temps mentioned in the link above and keep it warm while bringing it to hard trace. Once you do that, you can cover it and wait 2 weeks for it to fully saponify before proceeding with the Dilution Phase.

Be sure to test that it is fully saponified before diluting.

Part 2

DILUTION GUIDELINES
Generally speaking,
100% olive oil LS requires 15-20% soap to 85-80% dilution water.

On the other end of the spectrum,
100% coconut oil LS requires 40% soap to 60% dilution water.

All other combos fall somewhere in between.

I dilute the paste in a stainless steel pot, on the range top. Heat should be warm enough to melt the soap but not make bubbles. When the paste is completely diluted, it may form a skin on top. That’s an indication you're at the optimum amount of water needed. Add just enough water to incorporate the skin and it’s finished.

THICKENING
The best result comes from choosing a combination of oils to create a balanced SAT/UNSAT formula: 50/50 - 40/60

EXAMPLE:
50% Coconut, PKO, or Babassu Oil + 50% Liquid Oil(s) of choice

The oils/fats/butters you choose determine whether your LS is opaque or crystal clear.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM VARIOUS OILS IN LS

Here's a link that shows how to test the paste to make sure it is fully saponified before diluting.

CLARITY TEST, ADD EOS, THICKEN WITH SALT

Just one more thing... please don't throw out those batches until we have an opportunity to save them! You will need to post your recipe printout and the method you used either here or in the Recipe Feedback Forum.

I would add that the color of your paste is usually from the color of your oils. If your olive oil is green, your paste is likely to be green. Trying using a light olive oil (usually golden in color) instead of a virgin or pomace olive oil (usually green in color). You could also try almond oil, rice bran oil, sunflower oil, or other light-colored oils instead of olive.

Latest posts

Back