Coconut Allergy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolynkc

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a not very crafty person from Canada. My coconut allergy came on a few years ago. I am looking for ways to make laundry detergent without anything that contains coconut. So far the only laundry detergent available without coconut is from the US. It would cost me, with exchange and shipping, over $300 for not much.

Have you looked into using Babassu oil - it's pretty much a direct replacement for coconut oil and you can purchase it from New Directions Aromatics (based in Canada).

Assuming you're talking about making your own here...

Palm Kernel oil is another oil to keep in mind. It's slightly less cleansing than coconut and babassu, but I know others are using it as a detergent replacer as well. It may be more economical than Babassu.
The problem is babassu may contain Lauric which can be made from coconut . I'll check out Palm Kernel oil.

Have you looked into using Babassu oil - it's pretty much a direct replacement for coconut oil and you can purchase it from New Directions Aromatics (based in Canada).

Assuming you're talking about making your own here...
May still contain Lauric obtained from coconut. I appreciate your answer and will follow the forum to learn.

May still contain Lauric obtained from coconut. I appreciate your answer and will follow the forum to learn.
ALL of the cleansing oils which can be substituted for coconut contain Lauric and Myristic fatty acids. That's why they clean! If you're trying to avoid those, you'll need to use synthetic detergents to get clothes and dishes clean. None of the other oils/fatty acids have the same pull as those two, and will leave streaks on non-porous surfaces and are significantly less effective against dirt and grime with porous ones.

Welcome, Carolynkc.

Lauric acid is a fatty acid in oils; it is not only from Coconut Oil. Not only can it be found in animal fats, plant fats, but also in breast milk.

I am wondering if you also have a sensitivity to Lauric acid, specifically? If that is the case, and you want to avoid oils with Lauric acid, you can identify those easily by sorting the oils in SoapCalc (here). To sort for lauric acid, choose Lauric Acid. See below:

1601334364953.png

But as mentioned by others, a laundry soap made without lauric acid may not clean as well, so if you choose to make one with only oils with 0% lauric acid, I suggest making a small batch to begin with so you can evaluate it's performance.

I have read of people who make laundry soap with tallow soap, which has only 2% lauric acid; or you could make it with lard, which has no lauric acid.

I see that Olive Oil is listed as zero Lauric (thanks @earlene !), so I'll chime in.

I make laundry soap with 100% Olive Oil soap which I make using HP. I then salt it out instead of molding it (so it's thickened soap batter and I'm not grating hardened soap). Once it's dried I grind it up in my food processor with 1/2 amount in weight of washing soda. Works great in our he washing machine even with our water that contains tanins. I found DeeAnna's explanation of salting out, which I found on the forum here, to be the best I've seen. I think she recommends an equal amount of washing soda, btw. Anyway, you can find it here: Soapy Stuff: Salting-out soap

Edited to add: I do have to use about 1 C white vinegar in my rinse cycle. I set a timer to catch the cycle. A bit of a pain, but I've been doing it so long it's not a big deal, and it's sure better than the itchies from detergent.

P.S. Sorry about your developed allergy! I've been through that and it stinks...

Last edited:
Hello, I'm a not very crafty person from Canada. My coconut allergy came on a few years ago. I am looking for ways to make laundry detergent without anything that contains coconut. So far the only laundry detergent available without coconut is from the US. It would cost me, with exchange and shipping, over $300 for not much.
We use the Pure Wash System. It washes with only cold water and no detergent. Takes less than 5 minutes to install. We LOVE it!

Last edited:
We use the Pure Wash System. It washed with only cold water and no detergent. Takes less than 5 minutes to install. We LOVE it!
Thank you for mentioning the Pure Wash system. I'd never heard of this till now, so I just looked it up. As much as I love my homemade laundry powder, I've gladly use less or none at all. Do you feel like your whites get really white with this system?

We are the in process of relocating our W/D from a kitchen closet into the mudroom, so the timing is perfect for us to get one of these. Will be showing the husband when he gets home tonight. Thanks again!

I've used lard laundry soap, it does a good job. My recipe was a true depression era one that called for 2lbs of lye as well as borax... would have to go looking through all my pintrest stuff to find it.

Thank you for mentioning the Pure Wash system. I'd never heard of this till now, so I just looked it up. As much as I love my homemade laundry powder, I've gladly use less or none at all. Do you feel like your whites get really white with this system?

We are the in process of relocating our W/D from a kitchen closet into the mudroom, so the timing is perfect for us to get one of these. Will be showing the husband when he gets home tonight. Thanks again!
You are quite welcome. Yes, I do feel that our whites get at least as white as they did using detergent. Of course, whites in general don't stay white, my understanding is that it is because they treat the fabric with a whitening agent that washes out :-(

Mrs Stewart's Laundry Bluing helps with keeping whites white. I still like to use it. It also helps with gray/white hair. :)

Consumers Reports does not have too much good to say about it. PureWash and Wash It Detergent-less laundry systems lack cleaning power - Consumer Reports

You are quite welcome. Yes, I do feel that our whites get at least as white as they did using detergent. Of course, whites in general don't stay white, my understanding is that it is because they treat the fabric with a whitening agent that washes out :-(

Thank you for bringing this system forward! I am always looking for a better alternative.

Mrs Stewart's Laundry Bluing helps with keeping whites white. I still like to use it. It also helps with gray/white hair. :)

Consumers Reports does not have too much good to say about it. PureWash and Wash It Detergent-less laundry systems lack cleaning power - Consumer Reports
Awww you made me sad. Of course it would be too good to be true. Guess I will try the Mrs. Stewart's then...only on my whites tho lol

The problem is babassu may contain Lauric which can be made from coconut . I'll check out Palm Kernel oil.

Two things: are you allergic to coconut oil, or to Lauric acid? They aren't the same thing.

And no, they don't add coconut oil, or extra Lauric acid, to make oils such as Babassu. The plants they come from make those fatty acids naturally.

If I were allergic to Coconut oil, I'd stay away from Babassu oil, not because of its Lauric acid, but because it's closely related to coconut and would probably have similar proteins & similar allergic reaction.

Two things: are you allergic to coconut oil, or to Lauric acid? They aren't the same thing.

And no, they don't add coconut oil, or extra Lauric acid, to make oils such as Babassu. The plants they come from make those fatty acids naturally.

If I were allergic to Coconut oil, I'd stay away from Babassu oil, not because of its Lauric acid, but because it's closely related to coconut and would probably have similar proteins & similar allergic reaction.
I appreciate your answer. I stopped researching for a bit. So many sites & individuals giving contradictory information. Lye scares me.

We use the Pure Wash System. It washes with only cold water and no detergent. Takes less than 5 minutes to install. We LOVE it!
Thanks for your reply.

Welcome, Carolynkc.

Lauric acid is a fatty acid in oils; it is not only from Coconut Oil. Not only can it be found in animal fats, plant fats, but also in breast milk.

I am wondering if you also have a sensitivity to Lauric acid, specifically? If that is the case, and you want to avoid oils with Lauric acid, you can identify those easily by sorting the oils in SoapCalc (here). To sort for lauric acid, choose Lauric Acid. See below:

View attachment 50053

But as mentioned by others, a laundry soap made without lauric acid may not clean as well, so if you choose to make one with only oils with 0% lauric acid, I suggest making a small batch to begin with so you can evaluate it's performance.

I have read of people who make laundry soap with tallow soap, which has only 2% lauric acid; or you could make it with lard, which has no lauric acid.
Thank you . This is really helpful.

Back