Coconut allergy, with eczema, help me formulate?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good, except isn't that soap a little young? I hope you told her it needs a longer cure time because it will be even better as it cures. I know you can use HP soap 'right away' and all, but just saying, I find my older HP soaps are far better now than when I made them.

Just wanted to post an update, sorry for the delay, between company for the holidays and illness, I haven't had much time to get on the computer.

I made him the lard/OO/castor recipe Susie posted, HP'd, no KOH or scent/color. Also made a 1lb batch of castile, but I haven't given that to mom yet.

I didn't know when I posted before, but mom got the idea for CO-free soap from the allergist. Apparently he's a bit of a "crunchy" guy and also likes trying alternative stuff, but mom didn't know anyone to make soap until it came up in conversation with me a few weeks back.

I did NOT make him a salve, and I didn't use any herbs/infusions in the soap. Mom told me last night his hands are MUCH better now, they aren't cracked or itching and she said that is unheard of this time of year. I think I took her the soap on Dec. 23rd.

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and guidance about oils to avoid for this. I've tried to write my thoughts several times about allergies in general, but they sound argumentative and that isn't what I intend, so....I'll just say I really appreciate everyone sharing their perspective and experiences, it all was very useful and helped me make a decision I was comfortable with.

When my DHs eczema flares up all he can use is Castile made with EVOO. No fragrance. His skin has to be kept clean because sweat and dust makes it worse.

Other handmade soap is ok but his tiny patches of eczema that never go away are bigger and much worse when flare ups happen when he uses other handmade soap.

Everyone's eczema is different. What works for one person will not or might not work for another. Also the weather, dust, dust mites and pollen count play a huge part.

Last edited:
I forgot to address the syndet thing...the reason mom didn't go for those is because the ones we checked all seem to have some sort of coconut derivative in them (Cocamidopropyl Betaine). Since the whole point is to get him away from coconut, that seemed counterproductive.

I know, and mom knows, that HP isn't really ready right away. Mom is curing the other bars. I checked it for zap before I gave it to her, so while I realize it isn't ideal to use it right away, we thought the benefits of getting him away from coconut outweighed the downfall of using it right away.

penelopejane...your DH sees a difference between EVOO and the regular yellow OO? I used the yellow to make the castile, I'll get some EVOO this weekend and make more, but we're hopeful castile isn't the only answer because of the long cure time, eek!

Catastrophe, I was just reading somewhere that excessive washing also exacerbates skin conditions such as eczema, etc. but I'm sure you friend's doctor already addressed that. It sounds like you are a very good friend to work with her on finding a soap recipe that will work well for her son. I just want to say that's fabulous.

penelopejane...your DH sees a difference between EVOO and the regular yellow OO? I used the yellow to make the castile, I'll get some EVOO this weekend and make more, but we're hopeful castile isn't the only answer because of the long cure time, eek!

No I don't know if it you could tell the difference between the oils I just think the purer the better when you have allergies like eczema or you are sick. I just know EVOO works and it's the same price here when on sale.

He is choosy with sindets - shampoo, moisturisers etc - no alcohol, silicone or Benzines etc etc etc :) it's getting easier to be herbal berbal these days!

I agree with Susie's Soap Ingredients. Your friend should also look at her son's living environment. What does she wash his clothes, sheets and towels in? I would suggest a simple gentle wool wash and no softeners.

I agree with Susie's Soap Ingredients. Your friend should also look at her son's living environment. What does she wash his clothes, sheets and towels in? I would suggest a simple gentle wool wash and no softeners.
Laundry detegent can be a big problem. I used to have to use baby detergent such as Dreft for my clothing, now I can use Tide, and only Tide, by replacing fabric softner with vinegar. Fabric softners are also high allergy risks. Wool wash, is not gentle if it is a cold soak type wash. It has to be strong to just be able to soak clothes clean. I learned this when I was beading skating dresses and was told to soak the dresses in woolite. Well, guess what, all the color washed out of the sequins, so I spoke to my bead supplier and she informed me to never woolite or similar for soaking the dresses. It ruined hundreds of hours of time and money. Beading was never cheap to do. That was the last time I ever used a cold soak type laundry product.

I would also advise her sone to alternate products and try using just plain water when he is not to dirty. Using the same soap over and over can still cause allergic reactions. One day it works and the next day it causes a severe reaction. You could also try a salt bar with babassu or palm kernel oil. I find salt bars and scrubs very healing for my itchy eczema

Latest posts

Back