Cocoa Powder: No to "Dutch Processed"?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEASoapWorks

Reaction score
I'm making some "CocoaNut" soap, and I want to use some of my Italian Cocoa Powder. However, I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't use dutch processed cocoa powder for CP soap — why?

Is it the alkali? Will it cause a problem with lye? Let me know, y'all, cuz if so, I won't use it. I'll just make cocoa with it.

I've Decided...

I've decided to go with natural cocoa powder, instead of my dutch-processed. I'll save what I have for making hot cocoa.

Yep

Yep, I read that. Only thing — People need to elaborate, and not just say "don't do this", as if I shouldn't do it, just because they say I shouldn't. There's so much information online — right, wrong and in between.

I'm thinking it's something with the alkali in dutch processed cocoa, and lye — I don't know anything else to think.

So, I do know that Hershey's Cocoa Powder (the kind for baking) is non-alkalized cocoa powder. I do have some of that, so I can go ahead and make my "CocoaNut" soap, as soon as my WSP order arrives later today.

cocoa powder is slightly acidic. dutch-processed cocoa powders have been alkalized--meaning, they have have been processed to neutralize the acidity (non-alkalized cocoa powder is midly acidic).

hershey's cocoa (and most found in the USA) are not alkalized--meaning they will have a slight acidity and may neutralize some of the lye in your soap (making less available for saponification).

IMO, you would want to use the dutch-processed in CP and not the non-alkalized.

Yep!

Flynn said:
cocoa powder is slightly acidic. dutch-processed cocoa powders have been alkalized--meaning, they have have been processed to neutralize the acidity (non-alkalized cocoa powder is midly acidic).

hershey's cocoa (and most found in the USA) are not alkalized--meaning they will have a slight acidity and may neutralize some of the lye in your soap (making less available for saponification).

IMO, you would want to use the dutch-processed in CP and not the non-alkalized

Flynn,

Thank you! See that's what I THOUGHT! It seems to me that I would want to use alkalized, instead of the non-alkalized. It wasn't making sense to me, so I thought I'd ask the pros.

Latest posts

Back