Cocoa Powder Bleeding?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anstarx

Reaction score
I used cocoa power to color a batch of linear swirl soap last weekend. Forgot to add the EOs so I need to make another batch anyway but I observed something odd with the part with cocoa powder in it.
微信图片_20200804134548.jpg

As you can see, there are weird looking dots on the surface. I almost thought it was mold as there were excess liquid beading on the surface and I left the loaf sit for a whole week before unmolding. It was sticky and sticking to my silicone liner. However, when I touched them, the dots are inside the soap. You can also see the color bleeding a little into the surrounding area. Is this something cocoa powder does? Or something wrong with my soap recipe?
The recipe for this one is CO 20, PK 20, castor 5, OO 25, apricot kernel+sesame 30. Soaping at room temp, the lye is slightly colder than room temp.
The cocoa powder was clumping a little when I was mixing the batter but I figured it should be fine since it's not exfoliating. I've used cocoa powder for coloring for multiple batches. The only time I had problem was with a cocoa butter soap like this. Also a linear swirl.
微信图片_20200804134604.jpg

I didn't cover this one after soaping like I usually do and I thought it was either soda ash or cocoa butter blooming (this one is 20% cocoa butter) but could it also be the cocoa powder's fault?

Cocoa powder is something I use frequently and it generally behaved well in layers or solid colors for me. Have this happened to you before?
I just made another batch of the swirl soap with mica in place of cocoa powder, this time with EO added. Hopefully it would look better.

Last edited:
Working with natural colorants can be tricky, even if you had success with it before. The moisture levels in cocoa powder can effect the mixing. If there is to much moisture in the powder, it can cause clumping on a very small scale. That could be what happened to you.

I use cocoa powder quite frequently and have never had an issue with it. I generally mix it in a bit of oil or straight into my batter. Haven’t had an issue with it bleeding either.

Working with natural colorants can be tricky, even if you had success with it before. The moisture levels in cocoa powder can effect the mixing. If there is to much moisture in the powder, it can cause clumping on a very small scale. That could be what happened to you.
I usually mix my cocoa powder with glycerin and water. It never clumped on me before. I guess I will stick with clay, mica, and oxides with fancy swirls from now on.
I use cocoa powder quite frequently and have never had an issue with it. I generally mix it in a bit of oil or straight into my batter. Haven’t had an issue with it bleeding either.
Do you add it straight to batter at light trace? I always mix it with glycerin& water or oil because I worry it will clump if I don't disperse it first.

I usually mix my cocoa powder with glycerin and water. It never clumped on me before. I guess I will stick with clay, mica, and oxides with fancy swirls from now on.

Do you add it straight to batter at light trace? I always mix it with glycerin& water or oil because I worry it will clump if I don't disperse it first.

I have just blended it into batter that's just been emulsified/very thin trace. If I'm coloring a whole batch I just dump it in with my oils and stickblend before adding my lye.

I mostly use carob instead of cocoa, but I've used both and they both clump on me and leave spots in the soap unless I disperse them really well in water, glycerin, or a bit of oil. Perhaps the clumping or non-clumping tendency depends on the level of humidity in your soaping area, or where you store the cocoa?

I've had my mishaps with coco poweder but I have never had clumps as far as I recall. That clumping looks pretty bad too. Did you let your cocoa powder mixture sit like you should with a clay? Maybe that might help?

I mostly use carob instead of cocoa, but I've used both and they both clump on me and leave spots in the soap unless I disperse them really well in water, glycerin, or a bit of oil. Perhaps the clumping or non-clumping tendency depends on the level of humidity in your soaping area, or where you store the cocoa?
I usually store my cocoa powder in my kitchen since I bake with the same cocoa. It's the dryest spot in my house and I have A/C on most of the time. I mix cocoa powder with just a popsicle stick which worked well for me most of the time since I soap small batches (less than 2lb). If I want brown in my entire batch I just dump it in the oil. If I use a small batch like swirling then I add glycerin, water, and mix, add after trace.

I've had my mishaps with coco poweder but I have never had clumps as far as I recall. That clumping looks pretty bad too. Did you let your cocoa powder mixture sit like you should with a clay? Maybe that might help?
I've let it sit over the night since I prepare materials beforehand. I think letting it sit for too long may actually led to the powder settle in the bottom. I probably didn't stir it enough after letting it sit as well.
I can live with clumping. Looks ugly but not harmful. I'm more concerned with the weird bleeding tho...Never had color bleeding like that when i use cocoa powder in layers or solid colors.

Latest posts

Back