Cocoa Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this:
50% shea
5% castor
20% coconut
25% HO sunflower
2% superfat

I think this takes a longer cure time than a lard soap - more like 8-12 weeks than 6-8 weeks. Next time I try this I might split the 25% between sunflower and rice bran.
This is similiar to one of my facial bars and lathers really good
10% Castor
10% PKO
57% Shea
23% Sunflower HO
superfat 2% 1.1% sorbitol

Thanks Loralei - I had looked at something similar but I don't want to have the cleansing factor over 18 if possible. More Babassu = more cleansing.
@cmzaha - true that, but at this stage it's just a hobby that I really enjoy and not a money making venture, more of a cost recovery exercise. I currently share a market stall with my sister anyway - she does mosaics and I do painted rocks, so it's not too expensive.
@Dean - yes I agree it is getting complicated. Trying to juggle fatty acid qualities against cost of oils is making it so. Will have a look at your recipe.
@Dixie dragon - that sounds quite nice, might give that a go :)
@Shunty - I wanted to add a bit of Babassu to see the effect it has on hardness - it is harder than CO and I have just bought some to try.
Lots to think about! Thanks for the comments:)

Last edited:
I saw that we previously discussed this. Basically SW is shortening on steroids. I would prefer a more natural palm alternative too. Cocoa butter is it but very expensive relatively. Pluse u have to use al lot more of cocoa than SW...40 to 65%. I consider soy wax the best econ alternative to palm available. There is another alternative...stearic acid. I havnt use it and its not natural either. Let us kno what u decide.
Woot! Dean - I've just ordered some soy wax to try. Have you used it for making loaves of soap? Is it too hard to cut? I'll be cutting with a knife as it's the first time I will have made a loaf so i don't have any fancy equipment yet. Or being my first time, would it be better to use individual bar molds?

Woot! Dean - I've just ordered some soy wax to try. Have you used it for making loaves of soap? Is it too hard to cut? I'll be cutting with a knife as it's the first time I will have made a loaf so i don't have any fancy equipment yet. Or being my first time, would it be better to use individual bar molds?

Welcome to the soy wax club!

Ive used SW for loaves. It can be cut with a knife next day at lower amounts. I want harder bars now so I’ve ordered individual molds since I don’t have a cutter. If u go with a loaf you may want to soap in the am so u can cut same day if necessary.

@earlene turned me on to SW. She may be able to provide additional guidance on using SW.

BTW...if u dont have a mold u can cut the bottom off a 1/2 gal milk carton and use that as a mold. Its great for two bar test batches so that u can experiment with ur recipie.

Last edited:
BTW...if u dont have a mold u can cut the bottom off a 1/2 gal milk carton and use that as a mold. Its great for two bar test batches so that u can experiment with ur recipie.

Yogurt cups also work, and margarine tubs.. That's all I had to work with before a neighbor gave me an unused silicone chocolate mold that makes mini soaps.

I might have to look into soy wax after reading it on here *wanders off to research on soy wax instead of sleeping*

Latest posts

Back