Cocoa Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selah925

Reaction score
Where to buy this? Is this the kind that comes in a tub and is like a thick lotion?

Thanks!

I get mine from Columbus foods. They are rock hard chunks, break them up with a small hammer or cut off pieces with a sharp knife, then melt in a bain marie or nuke them.

Makes your soap very hard and if you get in non-deodorized adds a slight chocolaty scent. If you only want it for the properties, not the scent, make sure you get deodorized.

Cocoa butter is kind of spendy, but it's very stable. You can buy in bulk and not worry about using it quickly. It will stay good for up to 5 years.

Most soap making suppliers carry cocoa butter. Be careful to not use too much in your soap recipe....it has lots of steric in it and can sieze your soap (especially if you use grapefruit seed extract). I usually keep it under 15% of the total oils and skip the grapefruit seed extract.

Here is a link to a list of suppliers:
http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/soap-making-suppliers.html

Cocoa butter is hard & solid.

If you read the tubs at the store that say they are cocoa butter, chances are cocoa butter is way down on the list of ingredients. It's probably lotion w/ a bit of cocoa butter in it.

Latest posts

Back