Cocoa Butter - too much in this recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
I notice you're also using Shea, which also traces quickly, and brings your total butters to 35%. As long as your FO behaves or reverse traces and you leave the stick-blender on the shelf, I think funnel pour with a batch this size is possible. The bigger the batch size, the more working time you need to complete the pour, so I wouldn't go much bigger. This recipe should make a very nice soap, IMO.

I notice you're also using Shea, which also traces quickly, and brings your total butters to 35%. As long as your FO behaves or reverse traces and you leave the stick-blender on the shelf, I think funnel pour with a batch this size is possible. The bigger the batch size, the more working time you need to complete the pour, so I wouldn't go much bigger. This recipe should make a very nice soap, IMO.
Thanks for your input. I learned the hard way in my first couple of batches how little I should be using the stick blender. My last couple of batches were 90% stirring and 10% blending and I have controlled my trace really well. Even if it takes me 15 minutes longer it is so much more relaxing stirring and not worrying about my trace getting too thick.

I would not use 35% butter if I was going to do a funnel pour, it will most likely trace to fast even if you only bring your batter to an emulsion, granted this is a small batch so you may be able to pour quick enough. I personally would cut down the CO but that is me and I would add in another liquid oil such as AVO, 15% regular Canola or Safflower Oil. At 15% I have never had DOS issues with regular Canola over that I use HO but do not mix it with RBO or OO since they are already high Oleic oils.

I agree with the above. I wouldn’t use that much in butters. I use 10-15% Shea in most recipes with lard and have no problems with my soap moving fast. But I’m also one who doesn’t use a lot of butters in my soaps.

I would not use 35% butter if I was going to do a funnel pour, it will most likely trace to fast even if you only bring your batter to an emulsion, granted this is a small batch so you may be able to pour quick enough. I personally would cut down the CO but that is me and I would add in another liquid oil such as AVO, 15% regular Canola or Safflower Oil. At 15% I have never had DOS issues with regular Canola over that I use HO but do not mix it with RBO or OO since they are already high Oleic oils.
Took your advice and lowered the shea and cocoa and added Sweet Almond Oil. Even with that adjustment, the minute I added lye solution and stirred with spatula for a couple of minutes I knew not to use stick blender at all. Just stirred with spatula and it was perfect for the funnel pour. Thanks again.

Took your advice and lowered the shea and cocoa and added Sweet Almond Oil. Even with that adjustment, the minute I added lye solution and stirred with spatula for a couple of minutes I knew not to use stick blender at all. Just stirred with spatula and it was perfect for the funnel pour. Thanks again.
Excited to see this :)

You can use a lot of butters in soap, just be prepared for simple designs or plain soap. I've not used only cocoa at 35% but I've used a combo of butters more than that and it does trace real quick before I cook it (I HP). Takes longer to cure too, to get the lather that I like (personal preference).

Latest posts

Back