Cocoa butter... solid chunks?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
I just got some cocoa butter in today, and it came in hard solid chunks. When I shake the container it came in, you can hear all the hard pieces shaking around inside.

Is this normal? I kind of assumed that it would be thick and creamy, not rock hard chunks.

I just want to make sure it's okay before I use it!

Thanks!

Yep, thats CB - rock hard little chunks. Did you get scented or deodorized?

Cocoa is a VERY hard butter. Shea & some of the others are light like you expected.

Ditto what everyone else has said. CB is rock hard. I have to chisel mine out of the bucket with a hammer and ice-pick.

IrishLass

I can't order anything online (no CC card), but my local health food store has some cocoa butter. I checked the ingredients and it says just cocoa butter, but some of them come with scents and Vitamin E. These are not on the ingredient list, which makes me wary of buying them, as I don't know, what else is in them.

Can someone describe cocoa butter ? These ones are white and rock hard. You are supposed to melt them on your skin....

Madpiano if you set up a paypal account you don't have to use a credit card - they will take the payment from you chequing account - I have found them to be very ethical....

I have a paypal account and I do use it sometimes, but most places I would like to buy from don't accept paypal.

I don't have any cards I can use online at the moment...It's not really a problem, just fancied trying cocoa butter as I saw it in that shop. I'll just have to wait

I've only used it once, and I had to use Internet Explorer because it crashed Firefox, but PayPal has a browser plugin now that will generate a single-use credit card number for you.

There's info about it here:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/websc ... in-outside

I haven't tried it lately, so they may have fixed the Firefox issues by now, I can't say. Either way, it's one option for online purchases.

:)

madpiano said:
Can someone describe cocoa butter ? These ones are white and rock hard. You are supposed to melt them on your skin....

I have food grade cocoa butter from the health food store which is pale yellow and is about the hardness of baker's chocolate; it smells lightly of chocolate. I have cocoa butter from New Directions which is the same colour and hardness, but which smells quite a bit more strongly of chocolate (mmm). Both are in chunks like rocks.

I wouldn't say it melts particularly well on the skin. It does soften a little, like chocolate...

You could always do like I do go to Wal-Mart and get one of those pay as you go Credit Cards. Just put cash on it when you need to use it and the amount that you need. Cant over draw with it more than a couple of bucks. You have to put $50.00 on it to get it the first time then increments of $20.00. It works good on the net. Just a thought.

Krickett

My food grade cocoa butter is hard as a brick. I had to melt it a tad and then whip it in the mixer so that it will be a little more user friendly when I'm ready to measure and so that I could put some in a container for personal use. Whew! What hard work. Working with Shea Butter is so much easier.

Back