Cocoa Butter Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed.balaun

Reaction score
Is this product okay to use as cocoa butter in a recipe that calls for cocoa butter? I’m relatively new and appreciate the help.

Thank you!

Attachments

• A89BB5D3-CC34-407B-9381-9DEB73A56CF5.jpeg
    A89BB5D3-CC34-407B-9381-9DEB73A56CF5.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 0
  • A6D2193A-68A1-4FCD-B4BE-6966318CBAF8.jpeg
    A6D2193A-68A1-4FCD-B4BE-6966318CBAF8.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 0
Absolutely NOT! Go online to your local Wal-Mart and do a search for "cocoa butter"...under Personal Care / Bath & Body / Body Lotions & Creams you want something that looks like:

cocoa butter.png

I’m going to have to look harder at Walmart. That’s where I bought this cream. Thanks for the tip.
If you use the Walmart app (maybe also the website, if you're on a PC), search for cocoa butter, then hit "In Store.) Then, you should be able to see if your store carries it. It will also show you the location in the store.

Haha I'm laughing because I think you don't even know how to read an ingredient list! Ingredients are listed from "most" to "least". The first two ingredients are water and mineral oil! ACK ! I think you need our help!

Judging from your comment in this thread, you have a great sense of humor and would be a welcome addition to our community.

Please take a moment to go to the Introduction Forum and tell us a little about yourself, especially your level of experience with candles and bath and body products, and anything else you care to share.This will make it easier for us to help you. ;)

Welcome to the forum! I'll just add another tip. When I was a newbie, I found pure cocoa butter at a Whole Foods type store. However, it was in a small round tub and I nearly broke my hand trying to scoop it out, and then had to use a double boiler to melt the entire tub. Look for 25 cent/quarter-size rounds, or broken chunks like 2" square. Good luck and keep us posted!

Is this product okay to use as cocoa butter in a recipe that calls for cocoa butter? I’m relatively new and appreciate the help.

Thank you!
If you are able to purchase online there is a wonderful supplier of 5 lb bags. Keep in a cool dry place away from light and will last a long time. With shipping the cost is about $8 per lb. It is cocoa that normally would be used for food but has been opened by customs or border agents and can no longer be used for food. Cosmetics soap etc use is just fine. The quality is divine and the smell is awesome! Cacao Butter for Cosmetics / Candles / Soap

The quality is divine and the smell is awesome! Cacao Butter for Cosmetics / Candles / Soap
"Prime Pressed" Cacao/Cocoa Butter is best if used within 12 months. To make it easier to work with and to extend the shelf life melt it down and pour it into 1/2 - 1 oz. "disk" molds as @Zing advised.

I use the #3 Defrost setting on my microwave to melt it. Nancy's Petite Quiche Snacks (Walmart) come packaged in a plastic "mold" that is perfect for that. I have several because I LUV Nancy's Quiche! LOL Cool for an hour then pop the disks into a ZipLoc bag and store them in the freezer. I do that with all my butters. :thumbs:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back