Cocoa Butter Lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Cocoa Butter Lotion No. 1

OIIL PHASE
1 to 1.5 oz. e-wax NF
3 oz. cocoa butter
2 oz. jojoba oil
1 oz. fractionated coconut oil

WATER PHASE
1 oz. vegetable glycerin
16 oz. distilled water
1 teaspoon preservative (this should be as suggested by manufacturer for usage)

FRAGRANCE (1 teaspoon) (this should be no more than 1% of total)

METHOD

Heat the oil phase in a double boiler or microwave oven until
melted. In the microwave, this is best done is short bursts of heat, under 30 seconds each, then stirring and heating again.

Heat the water phase to about 100F and pour into a sterile bowl. Begin agitating with a stick blender. Slowly drizzle the melted oils into the agitating water. An emulsion will occur. Add fragrance, if using, and agitate for at least 3 minutes to ensure a good emulsion. Pour into sterile containers. Lotion will thicken upon cooling and standing.

ETA - Do not add preservative until the lotion has cooled to less than 30* Celcius....

Last edited by a moderator:
I do everything in ozs. or grams. Would you know how many grams in your 1 teaspoon of preservative? Is the amount according to the manufacturer's recommendation?

Thanks,
Irena

soapbuddy said:
I do everything in ozs. or grams. Would you know how many grams in your 1 teaspoon of preservative? Is the amount according to the manufacturer's recommendation?

Thanks,
Irena

I did not create this recipe, I got it from Snowdrift Farms. Its on their front page.

I have a question since I'm thinking about experimenting with lotions if in this recipe could you sub the cocoa for shea? Or even better add both but 1 1/2 oz each??

pepperi27 said:
I have a question since I'm thinking about experimenting with lotions if in this recipe could you sub the cocoa for shea? Or even better add both but 1 1/2 oz each??

I don't see why not.

Irena

soapbuddy said:

Thanks,
Irena

Irena is right. A preservative is based on a percentage of the total recipe (usually between .5 - 1%). Converting to grams leads to a much more accurate recipe. The preservative is the most important ingredient to a safe product so I would want to be as accurate as I could be.

This totals up to 24 oz (680.4 grams) 1% of this recipe would be 6.8% for a preservative. Therefore, one teaspoon is about 4.2 grams which is shy of the 1%. But more of a problem with the teaspoon measurement is that the preservative should be weighed, not poured into a physical spoon. And depending on which preservative you use would be the varying weight (based on their different viscosities).

Hope I didn't confuse anyone! :lol:

Back