Coal tar soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouwer Bonnie

Reaction score
I've been looking for coal tar soap recipes with no success so far . . . so I'm asking here! My anti-psoriasis shampoo comes in a plastic container, and I thought it might be good to learn how to make the shampoo or something like it so I don't have to keep buying the commercial stuff.

Anyone here know of a recipe for this kind of soap or shampoo?

Thanks!

BonnieB

Just put coal tar soap recipes in the search engine here and other threads come up. Easy, I can't link them atm.

I'd make a coal tar soap the same as I make pine tar soap. There's no great mystery to the soap recipe itself -- just use your favorite soap recipe, preferably one that makes a physically hard and long lasting bar, and add coal tar to it. You want a hard, long lasting recipe because, at least with pine tar, the soap tends to be softer and not last as long.

Pine tar in soap ranges from 5% to 20%, with 10% being fairly common. At 20% or more, the risk is getting an overly soft soap.

If you don't have any better info to go on, I'd probably include coal tar at 10% and see how that goes.

Latest posts

Back