coal tar soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pansy

Reaction score
One of my customers has requested coal tar soap for her skin condition. Does anyone know where to get coal tar for soapmaking?

If you're in Canada it is an item that is a banned substance & not allowed in soap or other cosmetics. Pine Tar is what people are usually getting and she might be confused. Pine Tar is available through your local farm stores.

If you're in Canada it is an item that is a banned substance & not allowed in soap or other cosmetics. Pine Tar is what people are usually getting and she might be confused. Pine Tar is available through your local farm stores.

In my opinion it should be banned...it can be such a high allergin. I know it can be purchased in the US in horse supply stores, farm and some hardware stores

I believe it is used in roofing so you might try a roofing supply company. Not sure how one would incorporate it in soap. As the others have said, it is a known carcinogen. Still, there are many products here in the states that have incorporated it. I'm choosing not to get on my soap box about this. I know people who have serious skin conditions that swear by it. I would not want to be the person needing to choose between using a product that helps my skin condition and wanting to avoid the threat of cancer.

ETA: PINE tar is carcinogen free if you get the right kind. Look for the one that is creosote free.

Last edited:
Perhaps that would be the difference - it looks like they could be prescription medications but on our "Hotlist" Coal Tar is banned as a cosmetic ingredient... Pine Tar on the other hand is allowed.

Carolyn you can still buy coal tar there?

It appears that it can be purchased through some chemical houses here. Not going to use this stuff in my soap or pine tar. I used to have to use pine tar shampoo on a customer of mine years ago that had severe psorisis and I had to use mask and gloves since I am so allergic to it. I finally found her a fantastic shampoo without pine tar, unfortunetly I have forgotten the brand, and finally got her off pine tar.

Last edited:
Dennis I love Pine Tar and that is the brand I use....

Carolyn - I prefer to stay on the right side of my regs so I won't even go looking LOL

I have made pine tar soap and I really like it. However, my customer said that it didn't work for her. Only coal tar soap.
Thanks for all your suggestions.

I like Pine Tar - I don't really think that just because some people are allergic to it means that it should be banned. I know someone who is allegic to pretty much everything, so we would be up the Swanny (How I love ya, how I love ya!) if we banned everything that some people cannot use.

I first thought she meant coal tar should be banned, not pine tar. Though now I'm confused.

Considering the way we purchase pine tar and use it in soap, it would have to be banned as an ingredient IN soap and not by itself. We are already using it off label in soap, even if too many people had an issue with its usage in soap that doesn't take away from the on label usage of it. I used to use it frequently on my horses hooves, Farnam brand. (I no longer have horses)

We still have Wrights Coal Tar soap in the UK.. i love the smell of it, it reminds me off when i was a kid in the 1960's...:)

Back