CO, Palm + corn oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narnia

Reaction score
Is this a good combo of oils to use for soapmaking? Is corn oil a good oil for this purpose?

Also, if you run the combination through a soap calculator and then also take a look at their qualities and what they would bring to a soap then you are able to decide if it's a good soap for you. I personally don't use corn oil but if you are interested in trying it then go for it.

I have never soaped with corn oil.

This soaper made a 100% corn oil soap and it seemed pretty good!
http://curious-soapmaker.com/a-big-test-of-100-one-oil-soaps-after-2-weeks.html

I am curious about rancidity, but I don't see that this person updated again after 2 weeks.

My "rule" is that my oils have to contribute more than 1 quality to the soap. I don't use soy or canola b/c I feel that all they contribute is some conditioning, and almost every oil contributes that. googling tells me that corn oil also contributes to stable lather. I may try it soon!

I saw these ingredients on someone's website. I had not seen corn oil mentioned in any other soap recipe, so I wondered how it would work in soap making and why I had not seen others use it.

...This soaper made a 100% corn oil soap and it seemed pretty good! http://curious-soapmaker.com/a-big-test-of-100-one-oil-soaps-after-2-weeks.html...

Here's her followup: http://curious-soapmaker.com/a-big-test-of-100-one-oil-soaps-after-15-months.html

See also Alchemy and Ashes single oil soap tests:

http://alchemyandashes.blogspot.com/2013_03_01_archive.html
http://alchemyandashes.blogspot.com/2013_04_01_archive.html
http://alchemyandashes.blogspot.com/2014/03/single-oil-soap-experiment-phase-3-one.html

I think the issue with corn oil in soap is the very high linoleic acid content. I think it might be fine if used in a modest amount, but I'd say the risk of DOS is pretty high as the % of corn oil goes up.

Last edited:

Thank you! Those links were very helpful!!

Corn oil was not mentioned in 2 of the 3 links by Seawolfe, so I am wondering why it is not commonly used?

I looked at the one-oil studies, but they do not say yay or nay for corn oil and why it is not a popular oil for soapmaking.

Last edited:
To extract corn oil from maize they use chemical extraction. It produces a very soft bar - after 5 days it still left marks when unmolding. It has a lasting smell of corn. It produces some but not lots of bubbles. It leaves a greasy feel on the skin.

I try and aim for a hard bar and I avoid chemical (one of the reasons I make soap). I would not use corn oil.

Coconut oil is drying and some people feel palm oil has environmental concerns and some are allergic/intolerant of palm oil.

Last edited:
Thank you! Those links were very helpful!!

Corn oil was not mentioned in 2 of the 3 links by Seawolfe, so I am wondering why it is not commonly used?

I looked at the one-oil studies, but they do not say yay or nay for corn oil and why it is not a popular oil for soapmaking.

It's not commonly used because it's a linoleic oil and using it in significant quantities would make your soap prone to rancidity. Therefore I would not suggest you use it as THE soft oil in your recipes. You can use a small percentage if you want to try it, but your main soft oil should be an oleic oil.

Linoleic oils are the ones called "polyunsaturated" on the label, and you can see the high proportion of polyunsaturated (linoleic) fatty acid in the nutrition information. Many of the frying and dressing oils in the supermarket are linoleic oils. Soybean oil is another common one.

Oleic oils are often called "monounsaturated" and you can see this in the nutrition information also. They contain a lot of monounsaturated (oleic) acid. These are better soaping oils to use in large amounts. Oleic acid is named after olive oil, which would be the classic example.

Oleic oil makes better soap and isn't so prone to cause DOS.

ETA: I see many experts have beat me to good answers.

I wouldn't use corn oil. Experts please chime in here, but I believe it's more prone to rancidity and DOS than other oils. And in my opinion as for label appeal, it says "cheap ingredients" and "cutting corners". Call me a soap snob, but I would pass on any soap listing corn oil as a major ingredient.

Have you made soap before? If not, what are your objectives? Who is your hoped-for future clientele, way in the future after you've mastered it?

Not to be disrepectful, but I would do some basic research into quality soaping oils and start with a good basic recipe, many of which can be found here on the beginner's forum. I really would encourage you to spend some time in research on oils before you start out with a sub-standard recipe.

Last edited:
ETA: I see many experts have beat me to good answers.

I wouldn't use corn oil. Experts please chime in here, but I believe it's more prone to rancidity and DOS than other oils. And in my opinion as for label appeal, it says "cheap ingredients" and "cutting corners". Call me a soap snob, but I would pass on any soap listing corn oil as a major ingredient.

That thought entered my mind, but thought I would ask the experts.

Have you made soap before? If not, what are your objectives? Who is your hoped-for future clientele, way in the future after you've mastered it?

Yes, I have made soap. I aspire to a more luxury type of soap.

Not to be disrepectful, but I would do some basic research into quality soaping oils and start with a good basic recipe, many of which can be found here on the beginner's forum. I really would encourage you to spend some time in research on oils before you start out with a sub-standard recipe.

My reason for asking was NOT because I wanted to use corn oil in my soaps. I saw for the first time, that someone had used corn oil and wondered about its use in making soap, since I had not come across it before.

Latest posts

Back