Clumps of titanium dioxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silva5297

Reaction score
Hello I made some soap and added titanium dioxide but it clumped instead of mix in to the soap. Is it still safe to use?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 36
The TD doesn't make the soap unsafe. It's in all kinds of products one purchases OTC as well as in food products.

As Ford says, it does need to be pre-mixed (pre-wetted and dissolved into a solution), and often given a good stir or shake just prior to adding to your soap. Some folks (me included) keep a little bottle of pre-mixed TD with a ball bearing or some such that is useful when shaking the bottle to ensure the TD didn't settle to the bottom of the bottle while sitting around. That's what the 'good shake' before adding to soap is all about.

It looks so shimmering translucent – Is this Melt&Pour soap? Dispersing TD in M&P base is notoriously difficult, there are TD concentrate M&P additions specifically formulated for that purpose.

The TD doesn't make the soap unsafe. It's in all kinds of products one purchases OTC as well as in food products.

As Ford says, it does need to be pre-mixed (pre-wetted and dissolved into a solution), and often given a good stir or shake just prior to adding to your soap. Some folks (me included) keep a little bottle of pre-mixed TD with a ball bearing or some such that is useful when shaking the bottle to ensure the TD didn't settle to the bottom of the bottle while sitting around. That's what the 'good shake' before adding to soap is all about.
Thank you

Hello I made some soap and added titanium dioxide but it clumped instead of mix in to the soap. Is it still safe to use?
Pre-mix your TD with water. It mix better with water than oil. Also, those spec might be from the lye not being incorporated fully in your batch. You can always melt your so down in a slow cooker. I made a batch that had those spec but I knew it was the lye becasue I hadn't use TD. So, I melt some down and reluctantly threw out the rest.

The only thing that will happen is that you may end up with some white streaks while washing and they will rinse off.

TD should be dispersed before adding to soap. I mix mine at 3 parts oil or water, 1 part TD. I keep mine in bottles and then give them a good shake before adding to my batter.

Agree w/ @TheGecko' Also may I suggest checking your TD to assure it's water / oil or both dissolvable.

This stuff is hard to get it mixed ware you don't see it in your soap' its notorious for this. Your not alone. Shake' Stir' or Mix really good before each & every use. 👍🏼💫

Update: A little gos a long ways, stir it really well once in your batter also some add their TD to the oils & SB before lye, just a few more suggestions for you to consider.

Last edited:
checking your TD to assure it's water / oil or both dissolvable.
TD is dispersable, not dissolvable. Once you've determined which (water or oil) to mix it with, you'll want to make sure it's fully dispersed before adding it. So don't stir it, wait a couple hours and then add it. It will settle. Give it a stir before adding if it has sat for a bit. I might be wrong on this, but I think TD can be dispersed in glycerin regardless if it's water or oil dispersable.

Something I forgot to add. When I first started making soap, I didn't realize that TD should be dispersed in water (or water) and to add insult to injury, I misread the directions overall. I was supposed to add in three TEASPOONS of DISPERSED TD. I added 3 TABLESPOONS of [dry] TD. Did you know that soap can shatter?

So I have this loaf of gorgeous white soap with an orange layer in the center and a beautiful orange mica swirl on top...it slid out of the mold like butter. Hubby and I took a moment to admire this beautiful soap that smelled like a Florida morning. After carefully making my marks with a ruler, I took my sharp knife, put it on the cut here line, pressed down and...chunks flew off, one hit the cat! I tried twice more and the soap just shattered. I cried.

Lessons learned: ALWAYS read the directions three times. ALWAYS have a back up bottle of Sodium Hydroxide.

Something I forgot to add. When I first started making soap, I didn't realize that TD should be dispersed in water (or water) and to add insult to injury, I misread the directions overall. I was supposed to add in three TEASPOONS of DISPERSED TD. I added 3 TABLESPOONS of [dry] TD. Did you know that soap can shatter?

So I have this loaf of gorgeous white soap with an orange layer in the center and a beautiful orange mica swirl on top...it slid out of the mold like butter. Hubby and I took a moment to admire this beautiful soap that smelled like a Florida morning. After carefully making my marks with a ruler, I took my sharp knife, put it on the cut here line, pressed down and...chunks flew off, one hit the cat! I tried twice more and the soap just shattered. I cried.

Lessons learned: ALWAYS read the directions three times. ALWAYS have a back up bottle of Sodium Hydroxide.
TD comes 2 ways, oil dispersible or water dispersible. I add my water dispersible TD to a ketchup style bottle at the rate of 1 teaspoon TD to 1 tablespoon distilled water. I make up enough for several months. I add some marbles to the bottle and shake it very well before each use. The marbles help keep the TD solution free flowing. Since I have been doing this, (about 3 years now) I have never had any clumps.

TD comes 2 ways, oil dispersible or water dispersible. I add my water dispersible TD to a ketchup style bottle at the rate of 1 teaspoon TD to 1 tablespoon distilled water. I make up enough for several months. I add some marbles to the bottle and shake it very well before each use. The marbles help keep the TD solution free flowing. Since I have been doing this, (about 3 years now) I have never had any clumps.

I have both kinds and keep them in squeeze bottles. I mix both at 3 to 1 which works well for me. I also us Kaolin Clay and used to just dump it straight into my oils, but started dispersing in water before adding to oils.

I have both kinds and keep them in squeeze bottles. I mix both at 3 to 1 which works well for me. I also us Kaolin Clay and used to just dump it straight into my oils, but started dispersing in water before adding to oils.
I add my kaolin clay to my fragrance whether I use fragrance oil or essential oil. I did an experiment some time ago with blood orange essential oil. One soap I added kaolin clay to the essential oil "like a slurry" and I let it sit for 2 hours (overnight is better), the other soap, had no kaolin clay. 7 months later, the soap with the kaolin clay has a lovely blood orange scent and the other soap has no scent at all.

Mmm, been adding kaolin to all my batches. Using fo/eo to pre-wet Clay. Means it wouldn't adsorb as much of the batter. When adding dry. Thus not adding to speeding up trace?? Just thinking out loud.

Mmm, been adding kaolin to all my batches. Using fo/eo to pre-wet Clay. Means it wouldn't adsorb as much of the batter. When adding dry. Thus not adding to speeding up trace?? Just thinking out loud.
Adding kaolin clay to the scent - helps scent retention because the scent has something to hold onto. A lot of liquid evaporates from the soap, kaolin clay added to the scent holds onto the scent, so it doesn't evaporate along with the liquid.

Latest posts

Back