Clove equals Soap on a Stick

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
Yowza. Just made a blend from EO Calc named Citrus Spice that has 10% Clove, 10% Patchouli, 20% Litsea and 60% Sweet Orange. Only a recipe for my 4 bar mold. Only used my milk frother for maybe 10 seconds and bam!!! Soap on a Stick. Recipe had Mango, Shea and Cocoa Butter but **** that Clove is a nasty little bugger. I managed to slam it in the mold somehow but there will be gaping holes in the finished bars. What an incredible smelling blend though.

Sounds like it smells great!

I don't know about using clove oil in soap though. Clove oil (or commonly just whole cloves) can be used to numb your gums if you have an angry tooth. Also used by the dentist to disinfect a tooth that they are filling, or at least they used to.

Spicy clove could mean trouble in your soap. I wouldn't throw it away, but I would say its best to use it on your hands only first, and see how it goes. It's a pretty potent oil.

I really don't know how much of it remains in soap. I'm not an expert in that area. I only put the "safe" oils in my soap. I am a fan of putting oils neat on my skin, but with a little knowledge of what you can and cannot use.

If nothing else...you will have a nice pretty smelling soap for your bathroom. Don't throw it away.

Whoa, that is a lot of clove. I think most people use 5% or less. Is 10% even skin safe?

I read the OPs post to mean the proportion of clove is 10% of the EO blend. Not necessarily the amount of clove in the actual soap.

But yeah, clove is skin safe in soap only at a very low percentage. Kevin Dunn has said he deliberately adds a small amount of clove EO or eugenol (the chemical in clove that causes acceleration) when he wants to speed up his soap making.

Thyme EO is another one that does crazy things to soap batter.

I read the OPs post to mean the proportion of clove is 10% of the EO blend. Not necessarily the amount of clove in the actual soap.

But yeah, clove is skin safe in soap only at a very low percentage. Kevin Dunn has said he deliberately adds a small amount of clove EO or eugenol (the chemical in clove that causes acceleration) when he wants to speed up his soap making.

Lol. You beat me to it by about 10 seconds.

Some of us who do HTHP use clove EO as a trace accelerant, and it only takes a few drops to thicken an entire batch of soap. I can't imagine what 10% would do.

BTW, ran your blend through EOCalc.com and it shows as skin safe. I personally couldn't use it since clove (and cinnamon, nutmeg, thyme, etc) irritates my skin big time. But I bet it does smell great, so if it does irritate your skin, too, then @Catscankim's suggestion to use it as a room scent is a good one.

I read it the same way with the proportions.

After consulting my book The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy by Valerie Ann Worwood, I am thinking that it is not as bad as I thought it was. The picture is the whole page on clove.

If you don't feel like reading through the entire page, the last of it says:

"Precautionary advice: Avoid prolonged use. Avoid using undiluted on skin: apply a patch test for highly sensitive skins. Avoid during pregnancy and while breastfeeding.'

I personally would just test it out myself before giving it to people, but mostly because I have never used clove in soap before. And don't give it to pregnant people LOL. However, I think that the little amt that is in soap (which is one big slab of carrier oil), might be fine.

Do not throw out your soap.

Attachments

• clove.jpg
    clove.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 10
When I create my Ginger Bread Soap' I don't plan on a design cause it's like " wait for it" then BAM' its freezing up. but I love the scent of the soap & I get request for it. its a nice scent through the holidays. I use Clove' Cinnamon' Ginger' few other EO & FO. can be an irritant to some people' especially in excessive amount's. I didnt realize the clove accelerates soap, good to know. 🙌🏼👍🏼💫

Yowza. Just made a blend from EO Calc named Citrus Spice that has 10% Clove, 10% Patchouli, 20% Litsea and 60% Sweet Orange. Only a recipe for my 4 bar mold. Only used my milk frother for maybe 10 seconds and bam!!! Soap on a Stick. Recipe had Mango, Shea and Cocoa Butter but **** that Clove is a nasty little bugger. I managed to slam it in the mold somehow but there will be gaping holes in the finished bars. What an incredible smelling blend though.
I just got a four bar mold to test fragrances. What would happen if you did the final mix of fragrance oils with clove in the mold itself? I am thinking as long as I don’t do any swirls, I could bring soap up to emulsion and pour it in the mold, then stir in the fragrance oil. What do you think?

Sounds like it smells great!

I don't know about using clove oil in soap though. Clove oil (or commonly just whole cloves) can be used to numb your gums if you have an angry tooth. Also used by the dentist to disinfect a tooth that they are filling, or at least they used to.

Spicy clove could mean trouble in your soap. I wouldn't throw it away, but I would say its best to use it on your hands only first, and see how it goes. It's a pretty potent oil.

I really don't know how much of it remains in soap. I'm not an expert in that area. I only put the "safe" oils in my soap. I am a fan of putting oils neat on my skin, but with a little knowledge of what you can and cannot use.

If nothing else...you will have a nice pretty smelling soap for your bathroom. Don't throw it away.
Sachets for the underwear drawer?

Same happened to me last year around the holidays. My spiced orange soap and the pumpkin spiced soap both traced pretty hard. I cut it down, almost completely out for the next batch and it was much better. And it was such a strong scent, I can still smell it's there.

I routinely use more clove oil in soap than that. It is perfectly safe for skin. And I have sensitive skin.

When I make my Spice blend, I soap very cold, plan only a single color, and as soon as I see emulsion, I get it into the mold. I also use cinnamon bark EO, Nutmeg EO, Ginger EO, Allspice EO in that blend, and more than one will create soap on a stick. I also get a sink with a couple of inches of cold water and ice ready, because if I forget to substitute sugar for honey, that baby will volcano. So, I set the mold directly into that sink, and refresh the ice for the next four hours. It is a pain in the neck, but oh, so worth it.

I routinely use more clove oil in soap than that. It is perfectly safe for skin. And I have sensitive skin.

When I make my Spice blend, I soap very cold, plan only a single color, and as soon as I see emulsion, I get it into the mold. I also use cinnamon bark EO, Nutmeg EO, Ginger EO, Allspice EO in that blend, and more than one will create soap on a stick. I also get a sink with a couple of inches of cold water and ice ready, because if I forget to substitute sugar for honey, that baby will volcano. So, I set the mold directly into that sink, and refresh the ice for the next four hours. It is a pain in the neck, but oh, so worth it.
Its really not perfectly skin safe, only recommended at 0.5% maximum. Its can burn like hell and it was withdrawn from pharmacies as a cure for tooth ache when many people seriously burned their gums. Even at low percentages it can irritate the intimate body parts. I LOVE the aroma of clove and wish it was not so limiting, I dont know if this is the same for Clove FOs though

Latest posts

Back