Cloudy Linen spray

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been making linen spray for some time. My process is to make 3 gallons at a time (in a BPA-free bucket). I use distilled water, vodka, and lavender essential oil (New Directions Aromatics). This last time I prepared two buckets worth. One bucket was fine. I received a text from our daughter-in-law yesterday saying that the liquid is “cloudy”. I have looked online and find no reason (and no concern). Is there a way to clear this or is it just going to be cloudy? Why? Same process, same ingredients, same containers. I do not have an answer. Photo below.
E1CAF318-E199-4B1D-9ECD-3D6F1B3A961E.jpeg

Late to the party, but my thought is the cloudiness is caused by the EO not being fully solubilized by the water-alcohol mixture. I have no idea why your other batches are clear and this one is not, but this is the most likely possibility that comes to my mind.

If I get a cloudy mixture like this, I use a polysorbate to solubilize the EO. Although PS 20 is often recommended, I've had the best results from using PS 80. The problem with not getting the mixture solubilized is the EO may eventually separate out of the water-alcohol and float on top. Not everyone is going to shake the mixture up enough to get the EO (temporarily) mixed back in.

Another possibility for cloudiness in a mixture like this is bacterial growth. An alcohol-water mixture needs a minimum of 20% alcohol by volume to be self-preserving. Vodka is normally 40% ABV so it should be diluted by an equal volume of water (or less) to maintain a safe alcohol content.

I don't think bacterial growth applies to your situation, since the mixture is freshly made. It's not likely the bacterial count is high enough to be visible. But I thought I'd mention it for what it's worth.

the cloudiness is caused by the EO not being fully solubilized by the water-alcohol mixture.
I use a polysorbate to solubilize the EO
An alcohol-water mixture needs a minimum of 20% alcohol by volume to be self-preserving. Vodka is normally 40% ABV so it should be diluted by an equal volume of water (or less) to maintain a safe alcohol content.
@DeeAnna My thoughts exactly! I don't see any loose oils floating in the bottles, though, and I'm wondering if it might be a temperature thing? Or water quality thing? :smallshrug:

ETA: I would play with 100 ml samples to make adjustments, starting with the alcohol. Every ml = 1%. So keep good notes so you'll know how much you need to add to the whole batch. :thumbs:

Last edited:
I've had situations where the EOs did not visibly separate, but the liquid was still cloudy like the product in the OP's picture. I suppose, however, there might have been some separation if I'd waited longer -- several days to weeks.

Temperature can certainly play a role -- cooler temps can result in cloudiness.

For dilution water, I recommend distilled or reverse osmosis water, not tap/spring/drinking water.

Obviously a person can't control the water source used to make the vodka, so I suppose it might be true that one vodka => clear product and another vodka => cloudy product.

I've had situations where the EOs did not visibly separate, but the liquid was still cloudy like the product in the OP's picture. I suppose, however, there might have been some separation if I'd waited longer -- several days to weeks.

Temperature can certainly play a role -- cooler temps can result in cloudiness.

For dilution water, I recommend distilled or reverse osmosis water, not tap/spring/drinking water.

Obviously a person can't control the water source used to make the vodka, so I suppose it might be true that one vodka => clear product and another vodka => cloudy product.
Would the proof of the vodka matter in this case?

The proof of the alcohol matters insofar as using it as a preservative. We're talking about 80 proof vodka, which is what most vodkas are. As @DeeAnna said, 40% ABV (Alcohol By Volume) can be diluted by an equal amount of water (or less). You then have 20% alcohol to preserve a product of this type. You can use more if you like, and I have done so to make a finer body-mist type spray, but not less. ;)

so I suppose it might be true that one vodka => clear product and another vodka => cloudy product.
Which brings up the subject of substituting isopropyl alcohol for the grain alcohol aka "vodka". In my experience, isopropyl is more susceptible to clouding.

Exactly what Zany said.

You want the mixture to be 20% ABV (alcohol by volume) or higher if you want to use the alcohol as a preservative.

Speaking from memory -- if you want to measure by weight, a mixture of water and ethanol (grain alcohol) that is 20% ABV is about 25% ethanol by weight.

Back