Close to giving up soap making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you haven't told if you are trying MP or CP, but either way, I would suggest to look any your failures as part of the learning, compare if they always look the same and what you have done differently.

It seems tedious maybe, but instead of just write the amounts you used, write everything you did during the process, how you mix the ingredients, how cold/hot they were before and after, what was the order you add your ingredients, how a fragrance smelled before and after, how was the weather conditions, write down every single detail and you might find that maybe there is something in there, a clue, that might lead you to what is not going right in your soaping.

And start simple too, I know with the amount of oils out there, it is overwhelming and put a little bit of them in one recipe is tempting :D But less is more when learning :) Don't give up and maybe try to follow other soap makers recipes and then tweak them later and see how you go :)

This guide might be a good guide for you if you're making CP, good luck on your next batch :)

https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/secret-to-the-best-soap-recipe/

I did break down and but a decent cutter plus a small trolley to put a lot of my tools in.
I broke down and got a cutter too. After trying to unsuccessfully use a $20 wire cheese cutter lol. Wasn’t happening 😂

I just added up my soapmaking expenses to date and I'm around $1200 (if I'm honest) and I just started in early May. I did break down and but a decent cutter plus a small trolley to put a lot of my tools in. But other than that it's mainly the cost of oils, colorants and fragrances. Plus I spent a fair bit on e-books as well.
Soap making is not a cheap venture at all. And an expensive hobby.

Soap making is not a cheap venture at all. And an expensive hobby.
I was already making MP, scrubs and lotion bars so I had the basics but once I started it became an addiction. I am never one to go halfway in on something so I kept buying stuff to try this and that. I am a hobbyist and I am sending my son home this weekend with a box of soap for his girlfriend, his dad and step-mom, plus his majesty himself. I also donate to the homeless shelter outreach. I give it to coworkers, at this point anyone of my friends who will take it!

I did some M&P one Christmas but didn't really get into it. So I had a few individual molds from that, but I also did some body butters, and other DIY items so had some oils/butters, beeswax, EO's etc. This did not become an obsession/addiction til I started on the CP soad road!

I broke down and got a cutter too. After trying to unsuccessfully use a $20 wire cheese cutter lol. Wasn’t happening 😂

I feel your pain! I just used a knife but couldn't for the life of me cut a straight line. I bought one of those wooden soap cutters that has the slats for cutting different widths but it was really narrow - maybe 3" - only a tall skinny loaf would fit. It was a pain plus $25 down the drain!

I know someone who invested in lots of top-of-the-line equipment before they had even made a bar of soap with the idea of selling, and ended up having all her oils go rancid and selling her equipment at a loss because she didn't actually like making soap. She liked the idea of making soap. If you are just getting started, I'd recommend starting out with ingredients that are readily available at the supermarket and homemade improvised molds until you get your recipes nailed down and your hobby begins to pay for itself, in whatever way you can justify it (giving soap as gifts, not buying soap in your family, whatever).

I gave myself a $1000 budget....I have spent twice that in the past year when you add in equipment.

It's not a race, it's a process. Even though I started selling soap six months after I started...local craft fair. And even though I did pretty good, I realized that I wasn't ready. It wasn't until recently that I decided that I was ready. Not only did I have a product that was better than just 'good', it was a product that I could be proud of.

You are welcomed to try my recipe if you would like:

35% Olive Oil
20% Coconut Oil
20% Palm Oil
10% Cocoa Butter
10% Shea Butter
10% Castor Oil

33% Lye Concentration
5% SuperFat

1 tea Kaolin Clay PPO
1 tea Sodium Lactate PPO

I melt my Hard Oils/Butters on the stove at med heat, turn off when halfway melted...residual heat will melt the rest.
I use frozen distilled water to make my Lye Solution...cuts down on the fumes and the temperature.

I soap warm (90F-120F), but not hot.

I stick blend in short bursts and stir to emulsion.
I will try this.thank you so much

Latest posts

Back