"Climb On" hard salve recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lanisoh lanolin is nearly odor free, although rather expensive, but it's an option if you only need a bit or want an ultrapure lanolin in your product or absolutely hate the smell of lanolin. I usually find it (in the US) with other products for nursing mothers. Walmart carries it. Pharmacies would be likely too
Thanks DeeAnna, I may have to check it out. Of course I bet if you used Neroli to fragrance the cream you wouldn't notice the lanolin odor <lol>.

I for sure wouldn't waste good neroli EO to try to mask lanolin odor! My pocketbook ain't quite deep enough for that. :)

I for sure wouldn't waste good neroli EO to try to mask lanolin odor! My pocketbook ain't quite deep enough for that
That is one I haven't invested in yet but years ago I went to a garage sale and found a couple of old bottles of oils and Neroli was one of them. Not sure if it is an eo or fo but sure smells just like the Climb On bar. You know, I bet neroli would work well in a deodorant...

Hi and many thanks for this recipe - I just found it. I made the salve and it smells and feels great. Since I am a total newbie when it comes to using essential oils, I am now curious about the high proportion used in this recipe. Is it safe to use more than one essential oil at the recommended dose for each, or is it the total proportion of essential oils that counts? To clarify, I'm wondering if I should remelt my lotion bars and add more of the other ingredients to prevent potential skin sensitivities. I'd prefer to leave well enough alone as I really like the final product, but I'll be giving it away. Any advice? Many thanks again
I’ve been experimenting to come up with a duplicate of Climb On lotion bars. It’s a hard salve used by rock climbers. As I’ve mentioned in other posts, my rock-climbing sons swear by this product. I too got hooked on it (one trip on a rock wall was enough ) and it’s more effective and longer lasting than the many prescription cremes I’ve tried for my chronically dry and rashy hands. At $10 a pop, it’s expensive and I cannot believe how quick, easy, and economical it is to make and we will now save a fortune. Thank you @lsg and @BattleGnome for your input. I am so excited about this!

For anyone who is interested, here is the final recipe for what I call "ClamberUp." It’s heavy on the beeswax and much harder than a typical lotion bar. The scent is not the same but I prefer my milder scent over the name brand.

41% beeswax
40% apricot oil
5% lavender essential oil
4% grapeseed oil
4% wheatgerm oil
2% lemon essential oil
2% neroli essential oil
2% vitamin E oil

Welcome to the forum! So in 2018, I was a noob and still learning. I have tweaked my original recipe since then after learning more about essential oils and getting feedback from my rock-climbing sons. For essential oil usage rates I go to eocalc -- and if they miss an oil I use Bramble Berry's calculator.

I will gladly post my latest recipe. I am out of town now and away from my recipes. If I forget this week to post it, please @mention me to remind me.

@NewbieAnn the best way to find out is to go to eocalc.com. Enter the blend you used, select the correct product type, and select the product weight. That will give you the safe usage rate for the totals that you used.

Here's my 2021 recipe for Clamber Up/Climb On:
40%​
beeswax
40%​
apricot oil
10%​
grapeseed oil
5%​
wheatgerm oil
2%​
vitamin E
1%​
lavender essential oil
1%​
lemon essential oil
1%​
neroli essential oil

Here's my 2021 recipe for Clamber Up/Climb On:
40%​
beeswax
40%​
apricot oil
10%​
grapeseed oil
5%​
wheatgerm oil
2%​
vitamin E
1%​
lavender essential oil
1%​
lemon essential oil
1%​
neroli essential oil
Thank you for remembering! I see you have cut down the percentage of essential oils, which is what I thought after looking at the EO calculator you recommended. I did find it a little confusing though, but I guess I will get used to it with practice. So now my question is, can I salvage my original batch? I don't want all those precious essential oils to go to waste! I thought if I melted it again and added another recipe worth of all the other ingredients but no more essential oils, it would work out that the lemon and neroli EO would be cut down to the proportions in your new recipe, but not the lavender. I kind of think that would be okay though, since it would turn out to be 2.5% which isn't bad if I'm not mistaken. Just looking for confirmation that I am not totally wrong about this approach. The other thing I wonder about is whether the essential oils in the first batch will survive the process of remelting. Even if the fragrance doesn't survive, will the healing properties? Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer. My climbing son is keen to test this out for me! :)

Thank you for remembering! I see you have cut down the percentage of essential oils, which is what I thought after looking at the EO calculator you recommended. I did find it a little confusing though, but I guess I will get used to it with practice. So now my question is, can I salvage my original batch? I don't want all those precious essential oils to go to waste! I thought if I melted it again and added another recipe worth of all the other ingredients but no more essential oils, it would work out that the lemon and neroli EO would be cut down to the proportions in your new recipe, but not the lavender. I kind of think that would be okay though, since it would turn out to be 2.5% which isn't bad if I'm not mistaken. Just looking for confirmation that I am not totally wrong about this approach. The other thing I wonder about is whether the essential oils in the first batch will survive the process of remelting. Even if the fragrance doesn't survive, will the healing properties? Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer. My climbing son is keen to test this out for me! :)
I routinely re-melt lotion bars to adjust ratios of ingredients.

Latest posts

Back