1. We are helping test out a new project for soapmakers. Soapmaking Friend. If you are interested in providing feedback and help guide this project to include all you want to see in a recipe builder and calculator please PM an Admin or post in the Announcements forum. Your feedback is really needed!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

"Climb On" hard salve recipe?

Discussion in 'Bath and Body Forum' started by Zing, Nov 29, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Nov 29, 2018 #1

Zing

Zing

Zing

DeeAnna likes this.
  2. Nov 29, 2018 #2

lsg

lsg

lsg

Staff Member Admin

I googled and came up with these ingredients: Grapeseed oil, apricot kernel oil, yellow beeswax, wheatgerm oil, tocopherol (vitamin E.) and essential oils of lemon, neroli and lavender
    Ingredients are usually listed in the order of greatest amount to least amount used.
    Using an example from Soap Queen (https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/lotion/beeswax-lotion-bars-diy/) I would suggest the following:
    37% grapeseed oil
    36% apricot kernel oil
    26.5 beeswax
    .5% wheatgerm oil
    a few drops of Vitamin E
    1% of the weight of above ingredients-- blend of lemon, neroli and lavender essential oils

artemis likes this.
  3. Nov 29, 2018 #3

Zing

Zing

Zing

Thanks, LSG!

lsg likes this.
  4. Dec 6, 2018 at 12:46 AM #4

Zing

Zing

Zing

I’ve been experimenting to come up with a duplicate of Climb On lotion bars. It’s a hard salve used by rock climbers. As I’ve mentioned in other posts, my rock-climbing sons swear by this product. I too got hooked on it (one trip on a rock wall was enough ) and it’s more effective and longer lasting than the many prescription cremes I’ve tried for my chronically dry and rashy hands. At $10 a pop, it’s expensive and I cannot believe how quick, easy, and economical it is to make and we will now save a fortune. Thank you @lsg and @BattleGnome for your input. I am so excited about this!

For anyone who is interested, here is the final recipe for what I call "ClamberUp." It’s heavy on the beeswax and much harder than a typical lotion bar. The scent is not the same but I prefer my milder scent over the name brand.

41% beeswax
    40% apricot oil
    5% lavender essential oil
    4% grapeseed oil
    4% wheatgerm oil
    2% lemon essential oil
    2% neroli essential oil
    2% vitamin E oil

KimT2au and Dawni like this.
  5. Dec 6, 2018 at 1:46 AM #5

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

How hard would you say this will be? I've been wanting to make lotion bars since I have some beeswax coming in but wasn't sure how much of it to add. Tropical climates aren't very good for the typical recipes I've found online. Unless the AC is on all the time, they melt.

Second question is regarding oil replacement, as I don't have apricot nor wheat germ. What I do have is coconut, olive, rice bran, grapeseed, avocado, moringa, babasu and tamanu. I also have shea, cocoa and mango butters.

I'll do some research as well, but thank you! :)

6. Dec 6, 2018 at 4:12 AM #6

redhead1226

redhead1226

redhead1226

Supporting Member

I read their description on the site you linked and I am not sure what is in this salve that is healing. Other then the essential oils and the wheat germ oil. IMHO I think you need some herb infused oils. Such as comfrey and calendula a little Marshmallow root, plantain.

SaltedFig likes this.
  7. Dec 6, 2018 at 6:15 AM #7

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

Dawni, Moringa and Tamanu are both known for healing properties, so they would be great to look into, especially if you can source it locally :)

Dawni likes this.
  8. Dec 6, 2018 at 2:11 PM #8

Zing

Zing

Zing

Dawni, my bar is a hard bar that pops out of the tin and slightly starts to melt with the heat of your hand. It's the only lotion bar I've seen so I cannot compare it to others. My recipe is very different than most lotion bars recipes which are 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 soft oils, 1/3 hard butters. Unlike soap experiments, lotion bars are real easy to experiment -- you can just re-melt and adjust ratios/add ingredients. Have fun!

9. Dec 6, 2018 at 2:21 PM #9

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

Here's a thread in which I share a recipe for a harder-than-usual lotion bar that I make (see post #21). It slightly softens when held in the hands for a few moments, but doesn't melt at hand temp. It might give you some ideas, @Dawni. I have friends who live in sunny, warm Belize and I know what you're talking about. https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/lotion-bars.72493/

Dawni likes this.
  10. Dec 6, 2018 at 3:30 PM #10

Loralei

Loralei

Loralei

Supporting Member

Avocado oil is soooo good for the skin!! I've recently started using it in a number of recipes, and love it!

Dawni likes this.
  11. Dec 6, 2018 at 3:30 PM #11

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

Thanks @DeeAnna for the link, and @Zing for posting your recipe and giving me the idea :D

And letting me semi-hijack your thread lol

@SaltedFig, I believe my Moringa is local, doubt the Tamanu is but I will do my research on both before I make anything. Thanks :)

@Loralei, I haven't been using it enough to notice but I know one test soap that has it is my sister's favorite. Probably will do better in a leave on product, yes?

Maaaybe I'll get some lotion bars done in time for Christmas, who knows..

SaltedFig likes this.
  12. Dec 6, 2018 at 3:45 PM #12

Loralei

Loralei

Loralei

Supporting Member

@Dawni I've now used it in soap and lip balm.. I make a hand salve for my FIL who has psoriasis, and use other oils for that, but I'm seriously considering trying it out in a lotion bar!

Dawni likes this.
  13. Dec 8, 2018 at 11:25 AM #13

SoaperForLife

SoaperForLife

SoaperForLife

Supporting Member

Looking on Amazon at the product, the list of ingredients in order of most to least:
    What are the ingredients?
    Answer: Cera Alba (unrefined yellow beeswax), Prunus armeniaca (apricot kernel oil), , Vitis vinifera (grapeseed oil), Triticum vulgare (virgin wheat germ oil), Essential oils of Citrus Limon (lemon), Citrus vulgaris (neroli), Lavendula angustifolia (essential oil of lavender)(non GMO) Tocopherol (Vit E)

14. Dec 8, 2018 at 3:19 PM #14

Zing

Zing

Zing

Thanks, @SoaperForLife but I used a list where lavender is earlier in the list (post 1) and came up with a recipe (post 4) that duplicates the real thing.

SoaperForLife likes this.
  15. Dec 9, 2018 at 10:39 AM #15

SoaperForLife

SoaperForLife

SoaperForLife

Supporting Member

Yup but I wasn't replying to your post... I was responding to #2 which listed beeswax as the third ingredient - wouldn't want people to make it thinking it's a dupe for the original. After reading some of the reviews on Amazon, I went ahead and ordered a bar of it because I was curious about after feel and how hard it actually is. It sounds as if it is pretty greasy.

Zing likes this.
  16. Dec 9, 2018 at 2:22 PM #16

lsg

lsg

lsg

Staff Member Admin

The ingredients for the bar I checked were listed with grapeseed oil as the first ingredient. https://www.rei.com/product/635168/climbon-lotion-bar-1-oz

17. Dec 9, 2018 at 5:13 PM #17

SoaperForLife

SoaperForLife

SoaperForLife

Supporting Member

18. Dec 9, 2018 at 5:36 PM #18

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Following the link, beeswax is actually the first ingredient on the list

If you want to make lotion bars for everyday use I would just jar it in your climate, which is what I do with my lotion bar recipe. I then call it Solid Lotion. When I am out at markets, especially in the summer, in which we get 100º F + temps and I also fight direct sun. So in the jar they go shrink wrapped then in the ice chest. When I sell one I warn the person not to put it in the hot car or at the very least keep the jar upright. Even with a seal inside they can leak

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2018 at 5:45 AM
    Dawni likes this.