Quantcast

Clever or Cheat?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't do this persay - but I do use a box roughly the same size as the priority small flat rate box, and put that inside the flat rate envelope. It gives the items more protection from the USPS just throwing the boxes around, so there is less damage and less chance of having to replace/refund items.

Even though I know people find this unethical or wrong or whatever, I personally do not see any harm in this practice.
I see nothing wrong with using a USPS flat rate envelope to ship a box that isn't a new, unused USPS flat rate box. In that scenario, "if it fits, it ships" is correct usage of the envelope.

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somewhat of a sidebar, but I was able to pack 8 bars of soap into a USPS padded flat rate envelope after wrapping them in a recycled Amazon bubble bag (So, double layer of bubble wrap), and with cardboard from recycled boxes slipped in on both of the flat sides for extra protection. It’s not pretty, but then I’m giving the soap away...

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Just so you know: Printed on every Priority Mail Box and Envelope:

"This packaging is the property of the United States Postal Service and is provided solely for use in sending Priority Mail shipments. Misuse may be a violation of federal law. This packaging is not for resale."

Flat-Rate Boxes & Envelopes ARE Priority Mail; they are called Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes or Envelopes

Check for yourself. I just did; I looked at every one of them I have in my house from packages recieved and boxes awaiting to be filled to mail out.

So even if a postal employee tells a customer to misuse postal property in this way, the fines for violation would still fall on the customer who sent the mail. It may never be found out, but if the package were broken open in transit and the violation observed, and it were found out, who would be to blame? The person who paid the postage and mailed to package.

Clever? When is violating federal law clever? Cheating? This is worse than cheating. At the very least, it is theft of service, and that in and of itself is illegal and has been prosecuted in many instances. At worst it is a federal crime.

Remember the USPS is a federal agency and violating USPS regulations can and does lead to federal prosecution in many cases. If you don't care about ethics, at least consider what it would mean to you and yours, should you ever be convicted of a federal crime in the US. It haunts you for the rest of your life, and in some states, you even lose your right to vote.

KimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So even if a postal employee tells a customer to misuse postal property in this way, the fines for violation would still fall on the customer who sent the mail. It may never be found out, but if the package were broken open in transit and the violation observed, and it were found out, who would be to blame? The person who paid the postage and mailed to package.
Good food for thought, @earlene. I completely agree, and I should have thought of this when our postal clerk shoved my package into an envelope. Reminds me of what we always told the kiddos: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should (as in, don't do the wrong thing out of privilege, because no one's looking, or because someone in authority told you to). And, of course, my own Mom's consistent reminder, "Ignorance is no excuse for the law". Thanks for the head-check, lady. :thumbs:

CatahoulaBubble

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the box look new? I've reused boxes I've gotten from shipped items like this because it reuses packaging that I'd other wise toss in the recycle bin. I will use my heat gun to peel off labels and it looks like a new box. I suppose it could be a cheat but it could also be an upcycle.

SPowers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmm... if I were to try that here in Canada, I would have to pay for both the box and the enevelope! No freebies here!

Lin19687

Reaction score
I have several packs of Priority boxes that I use for holding my soaps- They were Damaged when they delivered them so I don't feel bad about using them for other purposes. Then again they are the Regional A boxes so not like they are huge and I use them for moving.
I also got a couple packs on CL 2 years ago from someone that couldn't use them, the USPS would not take them back. Even though there was nothing wrong with them 🤷‍♀️
I reuse what I can, USPS, UPS, Fedex for home stuff but not for shipping to other people especially now.

I just looked behind me and there are 9 bigger boxes behind me that I saved from supply orders sent to me. 2 are filled with paper from the shipping

Personally I thought the Flat envelopes had to have things less then 1 inch thick and I don't want my soap ruined due to it being tossed around, so I mail in boxes only