Cleansing oil question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bambi

Reaction score
I like The Body Shop chamomile cleansing oil to remove (even my waterproof eye)makeup and thought about making something like that myself. But then I thought, how do you make a DIY cleansing oil without surfactant? I'm not sure without it the oils can be rinsed off completely.

Heres a list of the ingredients: Glycine Soja Oil/Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil (Emollient/Skin Conditioner), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil/Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil/Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil (Emollient), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (Emollient), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Emollient), Ethylhexyl Palmitate (Skin Conditioning Agent), Isohexadecane (Emollient/Solvent), Polysorbate 85 (Surfactant-Emulsifying), Sorbitan Trioleate (Surfactant-Emulsifying), Sesamum Indicum Seed Oil/Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Octyldodecanol (Emollient), Parfum/Fragrance (Fragrance), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Tocopherol (Antioxidant), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil (Fragrance/Essential Oil), Citric Acid (pH Adjuster).

You would need some kind of surfecant I would think. Have you checked out Swiftycraftmoneky site? There's a whole fountain of information there to be had.

I have cleansed my skin with just oils before. Rice Bran or Avocado.

You can use plain oil to cleanse, but if you want a wash off, I don't believe that you can make it without a surfactant. Plain oil can leave quite a lot behind on the skin, if you don't want this, then you'll need to double cleanse to get that off.
In the past, I had been using plain mineral oil with cotton pads, and even then was having an issue with needing multiple pads for my eye makeup & sunscreen. So, I made a self cleansing oil this week, my first actually and I'm wondering why I waited so long. I made this, and one sweep takes off the majority of the makeup etc., and it washes off so much better. I am completely sold.
My recipe was a basic one, and I just mixed up 3 oz for starters. Since there's no chance of water contamination in mine, I skipped a preservative, but obviously you would use it if there were a chance of contamination.

89% Mineral Oil
10% Cromollient This can be adjusted, I believe most people use between 5% & 15% depending on how clean they want to be.
1% Fragrance The mineral oil/cromollient combo on it's own isn't offensive in the least so you can obviously skip this, I just have a thing for rose scented oil.
Shake well and that's it.

You can use plain oil to cleanse, but if you want a wash off, I don't believe that you can make it without a surfactant. Plain oil can leave quite a lot behind on the skin, if you don't want this, then you'll need to double cleanse to get that off.
In the past, I had been using plain mineral oil with cotton pads, and even then was having an issue with needing multiple pads for my eye makeup & sunscreen. So, I made a self cleansing oil this week, my first actually and I'm wondering why I waited so long. I made this, and one sweep takes off the majority of the makeup etc., and it washes off so much better. I am completely sold.
My recipe was a basic one, and I just mixed up 3 oz for starters. Since there's no chance of water contamination in mine, I skipped a preservative, but obviously you would use it if there were a chance of contamination.

89% Mineral Oil
10% Cromollient This can be adjusted, I believe most people use between 5% & 15% depending on how clean they want to be.
1% Fragrance The mineral oil/cromollient combo on it's own isn't offensive in the least so you can obviously skip this, I just have a thing for rose scented oil.
Shake well and that's it.

New word of the day: Cromollient! I've never heard of it before and now I want it!!!!:-|

What about an anhydrous emulsifying scrub, but make it without any exfoliant (sugar, salt, etc)? That would rinse off with water.

Thanks for the replies, all. Swiftcraftymonkey blog is amazing!

Back