Cleaning wooden molds?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
Mine have a silicone liner, but how do you clean the dribbles etc off of your wooden mold? I'm concerned that scrubbing with soap and water will warp the wood over time?

I let the soap dry on the wooden mold, scrape it off with a plastic putty knife and then scrub off any remaining reside with a dry scrubbie. I do spray down wooden molds now and then with water, but only in the summer when I can air dry them outside in the wind and sun. So far, no warping. :)

I also scrape off the soap dribbles (of which there were QUITE a few due to all the wall pours for this month's challenge).

Every now and then, I rub down the wood with a coat of food-grade mineral oil, like one would use for a wooden cutting board. That helps prevent future dribbles from soaking into the wood and causing problems later.

I also scrape off the soap dribbles (of which there were QUITE a few due to all the wall pours for this month's challenge).

Every now and then, I rub down the wood with a coat of food-grade mineral oil, like one would use for a wooden cutting board. That helps prevent future dribbles from soaking into the wood and causing problems later.
This is a great idea! Question - why food grade?

Scrape, wipe down with with a damp cloth and air dry. I would NEVER immerse a wood mold in water.

Back