Quantcast

Cleaning wooden molds?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

dixiedragon

Reaction score
Mine have a silicone liner, but how do you clean the dribbles etc off of your wooden mold? I'm concerned that scrubbing with soap and water will warp the wood over time?

Megan

Reaction score
I scrape the excess off with a straight edge and then I wipe clean with water...as the soap is already there on the mold.

I should say, I never immerse my mold in water, just wipe down with a damp cloth.

KimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I let the soap dry on the wooden mold, scrape it off with a plastic putty knife and then scrub off any remaining reside with a dry scrubbie. I do spray down wooden molds now and then with water, but only in the summer when I can air dry them outside in the wind and sun. So far, no warping. :)

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I also scrape off the soap dribbles (of which there were QUITE a few due to all the wall pours for this month's challenge).

Every now and then, I rub down the wood with a coat of food-grade mineral oil, like one would use for a wooden cutting board. That helps prevent future dribbles from soaking into the wood and causing problems later.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
I also scrape off the soap dribbles (of which there were QUITE a few due to all the wall pours for this month's challenge).

Every now and then, I rub down the wood with a coat of food-grade mineral oil, like one would use for a wooden cutting board. That helps prevent future dribbles from soaking into the wood and causing problems later.
This is a great idea! Question - why food grade?

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This is a great idea! Question - why food grade?
Because I don't know if non-food grade might have contaminants that might affect the soap in any way. Probably over-cautious, but that's me. :)

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I just scrape mime clean. As careful as I try to be I spill a bit every time.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I wipe the spilled wet soap off the edges of the wooden mold before it dries. I would scrape when dry if necessary, but it has not been.

TheGecko

Reaction score
Scrape, wipe down with with a damp cloth and air dry. I would NEVER immerse a wood mold in water.