Cleaning Up Equipment After Making Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering what other soap makers found that works the best for them when doing cleanup of their soap making pans and containers. I currently use Dawn dish soap in a tub of very warm water but find it still does not cut the grease and leaves my pans with a greasy film on them. Would love to hear what other people are finding works best for them.

I pour hot hot hot water into my pots and pans especially those with active soap batter and lye in them. I leave it for a little while, half hour or so, and then wash with regular dish soap. Clean as a whistle

Dawn works fine but use more. I use a bunch in my soap pot and stick blend it, then wipe off the SB, a little scrubbie action on the pot and and other tools. Done. Works fine. I use the pot in the sink instead of filling the sink. Some leave it until the next day and just use the soap that is now on the tools.

I use the spatula to get as much of the excess as possible, then use those thick paper towels like mechanics use, followed by a soak in Dawn and cool water, then wash. I have even left over night with this method. Worrks very well :)

I let my utensils and bowls sit for a day or two until the batter has turned into soap. Then I soak and wash with dawn dish soap. I don't worry too much if things are a tiny bit oily.

Washing Soapy Dishes

I soak all my soapying utensils in my soap pot for about ten minutes - nothing else added. I always dump this out in the yard because, even with Dawn, soap is bad for your pipes (my husband used to be a licensed plumber). I use a microfiber cloth to wipe out anything remaining and then run everything in the dishwasher with half the amount of my regular dishwashing detergent. On my dishwasher, I run pots and pans, high temperature wash and SANI rinse (otherwise, over time, you may get your dishwasher gunked up). This has worked for me for the past year with no issues. The microfiber cloth goes in a bucket until I wash my next load of towels. Be careful to use gloves while cleaning up your soapy stuff.

I wipe everything with paper towels to remove as much as possible, then fill my soap bucket with degreaser and a commercial grade detergent to finish washing the utensils, spatulas etc. I then add in a little citric acid to make sure the liquid is neutralized and toss the buckets contents over the bank. I wash all soaping buckets and containers between batches. I just cannot leave messy buckets etc

I get every smidge possible into the mold. Then I wipe the tiny bit of residue with a paper towel(it only takes 1). Then lots of water to rinse lye stuff as I go, and into the dishwasher.

I used to use paper towels, and still use some in limited numbers. I have a bunch of old dish towels that I wipe all the excess that I can't get with a spatula. Let the towels sit for a couple days then thrown them in laundry, they have more than enough soap already in them nothing else is needed. Saves me quite a bit over using paper towels. I then rinse the items with very hot water and hand wash and at times put them in dishwasher.

I too wipe my buckets/pans with paper towel and then fill with hot hot water and some dawn, let it sit for about 10-15 minutes then wash. I do wash everything after each batch as well. I do not put my soaping stuff in my dishwasher as the one time I did my husband said he could taste/smell the frangance on everything.

I put my stuff in the dishwasher, But I also wash everything with a sponge and dishsoap before hand

I bought a plastic tote, that I throw all the dirty stuff into. Then, I put soap over them, toss the tote in the shower, use shower to fill with scalding hot water, let soak 30 minutes, dump water, throw in dish washer. :D

I let my utensils and bowls sit for a day or two until the batter has turned into soap. Then I soak and wash with dawn dish soap. I don't worry too much if things are a tiny bit oily.

I do the same, when I find my pots still to greasy I'll stick them in to the dishwasher and that will do for me :thumbup:

I have towels and dishcloths dedicated for soap making. When I'm done, I wipe down all my equipment, then let them sit for a day and then wash with liquid dish soap, then rinse in water with a little vinegar in it. I wash the towels once everything that's on them is soap as well. Works well for me!

Back