Clean Up!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I clean my SB right away since it's a pain to clean when the batter is wet, but it's a pita when the soap has hardened (ask me how I know). Everything else gets wiped out and put into a big, lidded bucket. Then I wait a few days and clean it easily and check how my baby soap suds are doing... it makes washing up less of a chore and more of a research project.

I am the ultimate of lazy...
I wipe em out, put them in the dishwasher and wash them with no detergent, then I wash em again this time with detergent.
Disclaimer, I have a split section dishwasher so I'm not using the whole thing, usually the lower, smaller drawer.

I clean my SB right away since it's a pain to clean when the batter is wet, but it's a pita when the soap has hardened (ask me how I know).

Snappy, you are *so* right. It takes five seconds to run the SB through a container of warm soapy water when it is wet to most of the gunk off it. And it is such a pain - and potentially cut-producing - when the soap has dried up and you have to try to lever it out of the crevices. That is the one thing I never forget to do.

Snappy, you are *so* right. It takes five seconds to run the SB through a container of warm soapy water when it is wet to most of the gunk off it. And it is such a pain - and potentially cut-producing - when the soap has dried up and you have to try to lever it out of the crevices. That is the one thing I never forget to do.
You got that right...I did not clean my SB right away ONCE...the ordeal to clean it afterward was all the motivation I needed to make sure I cleaned it right away from then on.

You just need to let it sit overnight so it finishes saponification and then let it soak for 10 - 15 min in hot water. Never had a problem with cleaning mine.

Of course mine is a detachable stainless steel model. I could understand the 1 piece plastic ones being a pain

I have never waited to clean. As I'm soaping I place my tools beside my sink and as soon as I'm done, wash with very warm water and keep my gloves on. I washed one time without gloves and my hands were uncomfortably dry afterwards.

I clean my SB right away also.(I have a scar from the one time I didn't.) But I wipe all of my items out with old towels that I use as soaping rags, then wash with gloves on in soapy water.

I always keep a sink full of hot dishwater when I'm soaping. As soon as I'm done with something, it goes into the sink for rinsing. When I'm all done soaping, I drain the sink, refill it with fresh soapy water and wash everything thoroughly, dry it and put it all away for next time.

Now, if only I were that diligent when I'm cooking...

I clean my SB right away also.(I have a scar from the one time I didn't.) But I wipe all of my items out with old towels that I use as soaping rags, then wash with gloves on in soapy water.
I also wipe all with either rags or paper towels. I prefer dry rags then I drape them over a bucket outside and wash them the next day. Most of the batter will be saponified by then. Running the SB in soapy water after use if definitely the way to clean it. It is also how you clean SB if you use one for cooking

I always keep a sink full of hot dishwater when I'm soaping. As soon as I'm done with something, it goes into the sink for rinsing. When I'm all done soaping, I drain the sink, refill it with fresh soapy water and wash everything thoroughly, dry it and put it all away for next time.

Now, if only I were that diligent when I'm cooking...
Problem is you would be surprised how much oil is going down your sink if you do not wipe off the containers and utensils before washing. Wipe then wash is much better

I scrape off as much excess soap into trash with the spatula I used to make soap, wipe out thoroughly with paper towels, then wash in hot water with Dawn or other good dish soap. My sb sits in one of my soap making bowls with hot water and dish soap while I do all the other dishes, by then all the soap on the sb is gone. Easy Peasy!

Problem is you would be surprised how much oil is going down your sink if you do not wipe off the containers and utensils before washing. Wipe then wash is much better

Agreed... I do make sure that as much as possible is cleaned off before it goes into the sink. That sort of goes without saying, doesn't it? I try to get every bit of batter into my mold, as I do with baking or cooking, too.

Back