Clean Rinse?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have made a few batches of CP soap. They seem to be going well but when I use them they seem to leave a little but of film on the skin. Is this normal? Or is there a way to have them rinse away clean?

It's difficult to say without a recipe, but I would say if you are looking for a rinse, the best thing you can do (and it would be very beneficial for your body and hair) is to rinse with diluted vinegar. I keep a bottle of 1/2 distilled water and 1/2 vinegar in the shower and spray my hair with that a few times a week. It's really good for it. Others will come on here I'm sure and make other suggestions.

Ooopps Sorry! I gave you my recipe for cleaning the house! lol! I would not use that much vinegar for body. What I really do is pour mostly water in my container and then add a little bit of vinegar to it. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
I have made a few batches of CP soap. They seem to be going well but when I use them they seem to leave a little but of film on the skin. Is this normal? Or is there a way to have them rinse away clean?

This is normal. You are used to commercial soaps that strip your skin of it's natural oils, which gives you that "squeaky clean" feeling. Homemade soaps don't do that so what you are feeling is the natural oils your skin has that the soap has not stripped away. Sometimes high cleansing bars such as a high coconut oil soap with a low superfat can result in that "squeaky clean" feeling or have a drying effect.
However there is no need for a special rinse or to do anything differently other than get used to the feeling. Once you are, you will never want to use a commercial bar again. ;-)

I think Bodhi and JCandleAttic are giving you good advice if you are new to using handcrafted soap. I remember having the same reaction you did when I first used real soap. It didn't seem to rinse "clean".

The only other issue is if you have very hard water. Soap reacts with calcium and magnesium in hard water to form an insoluble soap scum. The scum is a pasty or sticky residue that can feel really unpleasant. Detergent bars do not do this because the calcium and magnesium products they form in hard water are still water soluble. I only notice this in very hard water. Soft water or even slightly hard water are not a problem.

Thanks everybody, that makes sense. I am so happy to have so many helpful responses :). My recipe is 20oz Coconut, 10 oz Palm, 28 oz Crisco Vegetable Shortening, 14 oz Lye, 41 oz Water, 42 oz canola oil.

But yes, I am very new to using CP soap and it totally makes sense that it would feel different. I am used to using liquid body wash and this is also one of my goals to create. I would like to produce a body wash that I could market as "organic" but am certainly not there yet.

First time I used handmade soap and I got that 'squeaky clean' feeling I didn't like it. Took me about a week to get used to it. About a year later I found a bar of Dove soap I had left in my linen closet and thought I would try it to compare with my handmade soap. Twenty minutes after showering with it I had to go back and take another shower with my handmade soap to get clean. All I know is Dove leaves my skin dry and itchy and I can't believe I used to use that nasty stuff.

Get used to handmade. Your body will thank you for it.

Sorry, no help with the recipe, I have never used crisco. I think your question may have been answered already though. If not, maybe someone who has used crisco can respond about it.

I had the same statement from my Hubby when I first started making my own CP soaps. We had never used CP soaps before I started making them myself(with the exception of a very poor example of 1 bar given to us that was SUPER drying........the person that made it doesn't use a scale :/ A thorough rinse is all it takes though. And our skin is so much better for it!!! My hubby now has his fav that he uses almost exclusively. He uses it for his body and hair.

Back