Clean FO/EO for shampoo/conditioner bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Servant4Christ

Reaction score
Any recommendations? I've never used fragrance or color on anything and am a bit overwhelmed by all the choices!
I'm looking at BB and WSP right now for reference. Things that are piquing my interest:
FO- Fresh Bamboo (sold at both so not sure if they smell the same)
FO- Green Tea and Cucumber (BB)
FO- Neroli and Shea (BB)
I was also toying with the idea of creating an EO blend but that's intimidating!

I'm not a fan of either bamboo or cucumber so I can't help you with those. The few times I have tried them I've had acceleration with both, so read all the reviews. I'm sure there are some that behave, I just haven't tried too many.

Neroli and Shea Blossom behaves very well and is a nice fragrance, but is a bit perfume-ish. If that is what you want, it's a good choice. When I think of 'clean' fragrances, mint and herbal come to mind. From BB, Clover and Aloe, Lush Succulent and Cactus Flower are all nice, From WSP Flowering Herb is a favorite of mine, and Verbena is my sister's favorite. Pink Grapefruit from either is beautiful in soap. If you want to use EOs, eucalyptus and peppermint, alone or blended, smell very fresh and clean to my nose.

@dibbles I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about FOs for syndet shampoo bars or conditioner bars, so acceleration wouldn't be a concern, yes? :)

@Servant4Christ I haven't smelled either the bamboo or the cucumber scents by those suppliers, but I really love BB's Bamboo Mint FO, WSP's Ginger Lime EO/FO blend, and Camden Grey's Cucumber Melon FO. They all smell clean and fresh to my nose. According to my users, Ginger Lime is far and away the universal favorite of all the scents I've used in my shampoo/conditioner bars.

But as you can see from just the two responses so far, smells are so subjective! 😁 I do agree with @dibbles about pink grapefruit being a lovely scent, too.

I recently ordered BB’s Eucalyptus & Cotton to try as a spa type scent and like it. It’s described as a clean mix of peppermint, gardenia, eucalyptus, cotton, hyacinth, musk, sandalwood, and ylang ylang.
Good to know you like that one. I’ve had it in and out of my cart so many times. Is it very floral, or just hints of floral? The gardenia always worries me.

Good to know you like that one. I’ve had it in and out of my cart so many times. Is it very floral, or just hints of floral? The gardenia always worries me.
My other in-house tester likes this one as well. We smell the mint and eucalyptus and feel the floral is there, but in a balanced way, not cloying.

I recently ordered BB’s Eucalyptus & Cotton to try as a spa type scent and like it. It’s described as a clean mix of peppermint, gardenia, eucalyptus, cotton, hyacinth, musk, sandalwood, and ylang ylang.
I looked at this one. I'm not a fan of the camphorous smell of eucalyptus EO, but I love the smell of Odoban odor remover spray in original eucalyptus scent. I wonder if this is similar?
I'm also looking at WSP's Eucalyptus Rain.

I'm not a fan of either bamboo or cucumber so I can't help you with those. The few times I have tried them I've had acceleration with both, so read all the reviews. I'm sure there are some that behave, I just haven't tried too many.

Neroli and Shea Blossom behaves very well and is a nice fragrance, but is a bit perfume-ish. If that is what you want, it's a good choice. When I think of 'clean' fragrances, mint and herbal come to mind. From BB, Clover and Aloe, Lush Succulent and Cactus Flower are all nice, From WSP Flowering Herb is a favorite of mine, and Verbena is my sister's favorite. Pink Grapefruit from either is beautiful in soap. If you want to use EOs, eucalyptus and peppermint, alone or blended, smell very fresh and clean to my nose.
The only time I ever ventured into using fragrance was in CP soap for a dear friend who loves the smell of eucalyptus. I used both peppermint and eucalyptus EOs and thought I'd never survive the raging headache that lasted for days.

I posted a thread over in the fragrance forum because I'm noticing a lot of the exact same fragrance names at multiple sites and trying to navigate through it.

Last edited:
I looked at this one. I'm not a fan of the camphorous smell of eucalyptus EO, but I love the smell of Odoban odor remover spray in original eucalyptus scent. I wonder if this is similar?
I'm also looking at WSP's Eucalyptus Rain.
To my nose, this is not camphorous like the EO. Actually, I can’t think of any FOs I’ve tried that have the camphorous scent of EOs.

For shampoo bars I've used Lime and Coconut FO which was very nice, Green Tea FO, Lemongrass EO, Patchouli and Lavender 50/50 (EOs) and Love Spell (FO). I'm thinking lavender and lemongrass would be nice for the sort of scent you are after, but they are not FOs.

For shampoo bars I've used Lime and Coconut FO which was very nice, Green Tea FO, Lemongrass EO, Patchouli and Lavender 50/50 (EOs) and Love Spell (FO). I'm thinking lavender and lemongrass would be nice for the sort of scent you are after, but they are not FOs.
I never would've thought of pairing lavender with lemongrass. I know I love the smell of lemongrass so that's a definite possibility. Thank you!

To my nose, this is not camphorous like the EO. Actually, I can’t think of any FOs I’ve tried that have the camphorous scent of EOs.
This is definitely helpful info to know. Thank you so so much.

I had 10 bars of soap with this scent fly off the table at my holiday fundraiser. I called it Country Cotton to go with the rolling green hill landscape design of the soap.

BB has a FO call "shave and a Haircut" I have a soap bar that has it and it's amazing! I purchase from Candora their FO Barber Shoppe which I think is exactly the same. If there are any Canadians who are looking as well. But Candora actually sells a lot of stuff that I've seen from WSP, so maybe they have Barber Shoppe too!

I had 10 bars of soap with this scent fly off the table at my holiday fundraiser. I called it Country Cotton to go with the rolling green hill landscape design of the soap.
BB’s Eucalyptus and Cotton causes mild acceleration which made it useful for creating a sculpted layered soap. I wouldn’t use it for a design with complicated swirls. It did not cause any discoloration.

My customers like Eucalyptus Rain. I've been trying to find a dupe from elsewhere because I don't want to buy from WSP anymore.

I buy mine from Fizz Fairy (Eucalyptus Rain Premium Fragrance Oil) I'm not sure what their shipping to the states is, though.

Yes, it does accelerate CP soap so I have to work VERY quickly.

I buy mine from Fizz Fairy (Eucalyptus Rain Premium Fragrance Oil) I'm not sure what their shipping to the states is, though.

Yes, it does accelerate CP soap so I have to work VERY quickly.
Thank you, I'll take a look.

Unfortunately, it's literally twice the price with shipping added but wow. I really don't understand how Canadians stay in business with the cost you pay. Including shipping, you'd pay almost three times the price I do in the US. (an 8-ounce for me is $21 plus $6 for shipping protection plus $14 for shipping plus taxes, for you it's $27 just for the fragrance alone).

I might splurge anyway and order. I've been wanting a bunch of stuff from them.

Last edited:
Back